Makie Jewellery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Makie Jewellery

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:11 pm

earrings, necklaces, all the jewellery all the time.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Makie Jewellery

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 pm

From Pokfil:

I've just had a little play this morning with my earring findings box.
Millie was gracious to be my model All hook measurements are the back hook length.

First of all I tried some medium sized earring hooks, these are probably the average size you would find at places like claires etc. These are 16mm
I found them to be too long. They slid in easily but were a bit of a bugger to get out becuase of the hook angle.

Next I tried the sterling silver ones I bought years ago cheap from china. These are about 13mm and have a smaller curve hook. I would class these more as childrens sizing that adults. The back wire still is a fraction too long for me, but I think these would work best if you were buying ready mades.

Then I tried the long gold ones, about 25mm and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy too long. Talk about lobe hangers!! Don't even bother with these.

So here are the 13 and 16mm commercial earwires side by side

So next I tried posts, the post is way too long and sticks out at the back of the makie ears. These are about 10mm posts.

So I have cut about 2/3rds of but probably should of cut off less

And popped nicely into Millies ear.

and then secured the back with a little bit of white coloured blue tack. If I left the post a bit longer I probably could of put a little silicon plug back there (that you get on the back of earrings) but that may have stood out too much

So I made some finished earrings, the silver ones I used the tiny silver ear hooks I had and the gold ones, I just used a eyepin and cut it and looped it over short.

So Millie has her first pairs of earrings Smile

Silver Skulls

and gold skull earrings

I must admit I am a bit pedantic about scale and would prefer to just make my own wires so they look like proper earrings But that's just me!!!
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 pm

From Rikke, who confirms you can also use a small safety pin:

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sun May 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Hey, I Just discovered that those little plastic post earrings that Moxie Girlz wear will work for Makies! Very Happy

Here is a picture of Chyme wearing a pair.

They just sort of pop right in, and so far Chyme's are staying in just fine. ^_^
If they seem a little loose, or you don't want to chance loosing them, I would think a drop of school or craft glue would hold them just fine until you were ready to change earrings. ^_~

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sun May 10, 2015 8:24 pm

I don't know how helpful it is necessarily, but I do know that one of the clothing items I've commissioned uses nail art supplies to make perfect makie-scale jewelry!
Perhaps if you have any nail art supplies around or have a look for them, you'll find something that works well.

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sun May 10, 2015 8:25 pm

I've noticed that Moxie/Bratz earrings seem to fit great and Monster high earrings can be a bit hit and miss. Some have wider posts for some reason. Vicky and Fizz both have MH/EAH earrings in atm hahah. Sadly Barbie earrings have a strange V shaped prong on the end to keep them in Barbie's head. not only are they near impossible to REMOVE from the damn doll, once you get them out, they won't fit any other doll due to that stupid prong.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sun May 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Typical of Mattel to throw in a monkey wrench, heavens forfend that you might put their earrings on some other company's doll! 9_9

At least they aren't the cheap metal ones anymore, the ones that would turn Bab's ear holes green! XP

I do seem to remember a period between the metal ones and the kind that you described, when she came plastic ones similar to the Bratz and Moxies. Good luck finding any though, lol, Bab's jewelry was like the second thing to get lost.........

Usually right after you lost ONE shoe! ^_~

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sun May 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Great post P_M I have been thinking about this myself having now got (unplanned) two girls with pierced ears!  Everything I had seen looked too big so was thinking I would have to make some myself.

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 am

hahah the 80s ones I recall were plastic, they had rings too (a hole in the hand hahah)

but yeah, I haven't seen a Barbie earring I could get OUT of a Barbie's head in years. boo.

Bratzilla earrings fit too. I put a pair off a Meygana onto Juniper, they look pretty.
The old Bratz black plastic plug earrings that came with the pretty n punk and similar lines work GREAT on the boys as well. Gabe has those in his ears as "plugs" heh.

Sadly i've noticed that most of the MGA dangly earrings are stupidly fragile. They're usually a hook and pin, which works fine but the dangly bit is slid onto the hook and there's nothing to stop it sliding off again. Sooo those just get lost. Jian's earrings are a pair of those with the stupid hook cut off because I lost the dangly bits and one of the hooks snapped so why bother? heh.

Loom bands btw, work great as bracelets.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Mon May 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Do you mean those little baggies full of tiny colored rubber bands that come with a small plastic crochet hook and fasteners? I have a few bags of those buried in my craft supplies, it never occured to me to use them as Makie bracelets.

I bought some of those little colored plastic bands that they use on hair now instead of rubber bands to use as bracelets. I found some really small sized ones in the children's hair section, and thought they'd be perfect as imitations of those silicone band bracelets. ^_~

I also picked up several inexpensive small ear cuffs to use as Makie bracelets too. ^_^

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon May 11, 2015 2:17 pm

yep, I use the loom bands for everything lol. You can also use the bracelets you make with them as headbands, they look quite cute.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:51 am

I just made this string of pearls.
DocC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 am

I decided to make a loop to connect it in back so it's adjustable. I also don't have to go over her head or take her head off. You can also see the earrings I modified with needle nose pliers and wire cutters to shorten. I use plastic "stops" to keep them from falling out of the ear holes.
DocC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 am

Another view. I think these are real turquoise.

DocC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top