Customising Makie accessories

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Customising Makie accessories

Post by nattherat on Thu May 07, 2015 2:26 am

I hope it's ok, but I thought I'd make a topic to share experiences/tips on customising the 3D printed accessories the lab offers!

Admittedly, I'm wondering and hoping someone has experience working with the glasses. Anyone added lens to them? And if so, what did you use for the lens?

My experience with gloss finish so far is that a single light coat of it may be enough to make the frames look more realistic (metallic paint also seems to be good, especially if you want actual silver or gold frames), so likely I'll be giving that a go.

Want to share any stories/photos of customised makie accessories? Here's the thread for you!  Very Happy
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Customising Makie accessories

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu May 07, 2015 7:40 am

I've painted the glasses, not tried to add lenses though. I've found the accessories really good to paint because they absorb the paint wonderfully heh.
I painted some shoes too, but those took a lot of coats to look even halfway the colour I wanted.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Thu May 07, 2015 9:29 am

What a great thread and one I will follow with interest as would love to know what paints people use etc...

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 pm

I used acrylic, but it seems to take a lot of layers because it sinks into the material pretty fast.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Well, it's not exactly an accessory, but I used nail polish for Lochs' lips. Lol. ;D

I remembered that my mother used to use it all the time to label stuff like my plastic and metal scouting equipment for scout camp. ^_^

Also, I had an artist acquaintance that used it successfully on these dragon sculptures she made out of liquid latex coated wire and paper.

It's essentially a type of acrylic lacquer or paint that is safe for use on humans, you can even use the clear kind on mosquito bites to stop them from itching. ^_~

It worked pretty good, although I don't recommend using the brush that comes attached to the bottle's cap, lol, it's not really made for fine details.Very Happy

I've since picked up a few sets of those nail paint brush sets they have for doing detailed designs on your nails, and more nail polish. ^_^

They have so many wonderful and wild colors these days, so I just have a root round in the cosmetics dept. clearance bins whenever I'm in the stores. Very Happy

I've also tried that clear, protector top coat lacquer to seal and protect other parts of my face ups.

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top