Dye with Rit (all purpose fabric dye)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dye with Rit (all purpose fabric dye)

Post by jupiternames on Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 am

I'm not the first to dye a Makie with Rit, but I've just documented the process as I dyed my Makie this afternoon.

I started with a white Makie:

I disassembled her and washed all parts by hand with dishsoap, including removing her makeup that the lab gave her. I should note that I requested her wig be left unglued, so I didn't have any glue to try to get rid of. I could see glue remnants really messing up a dye job!

As recommended by Artful Owl, I soaked all the parts and extra hands, minus the foam inserts in the arms and legs! I didn't wash or dye those.

I bought a (sort of gross) pot from the thrift store to use with the dye. I got the water lightly boiling before adding the dye and vinegar.

Haha, you can totally see my ghee in the background. You don't need ghee for the job, but it could help sustain you during the process. Anyway, I dumped the powder into the pot once the water was boiling and added 1 cup of plain, white vinegar, then stirred it all up with a disposable knife.

This is what it looked like after that:

At first, I planned on boiling the parts in there for six minuted like Artful Owl did with her green Makie, but after three minutes, everything was pretty dark, so I dumped it all into the sink and began running cold water over everything. I wish I'd bought an old colander for the end, but it wouldn't have made the dye job any nicer. It just would have been a faster clean up.

And this is what I got:

For reference, here is a link to Nealie Jean's dye experiment. She actually uses the same blue dye, but without boiling. Her Makie, Kendra, ended up much, much lighter.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nealiejean/14878940298/in/album-72157627874700078/

I'd like to point out the skullcap because this scared me. You can tell that the dye looks uneven on the skullcap, and it also looked darker around her eyes, then I noticed it on one of her legs. I was sort of feeling disappointed like I'd really messed up, when I realized that this is an effect of the drying. The nylon dries weird and parts of it hold water better somehow. She's dyed just as evenly as the lab-dyed Makies!

Here's a couple pictures of the final result. You might notice that she's a bit white in the knee joint. Don't make the same mistake as me. If you dye your Makie, bend those joints in the dye bath! I'm going to buy more of the dye and fix this, likely with a paint brush.

Still needs lipstick...

"Grey lipstick is huge on Csilla this season!"

The spot on her chin is a dye imperfection, FYI.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dye with Rit (all purpose fabric dye)

Post by Kitty-kat on Sun May 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Yay! She went amazingly, and I didn't even notice the dot

Name:Made real on:
Kitty4/7/14
Katthrine 7/12/14
Robin4/9/15
Haru4/9/15

Check out the gang at: mymakies:kitty-kat
Kitty-kat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sun May 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Wow! That's such a beautiful shade of blue!

Check out my Makie gallery!

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Haa! Nice. She turned out so well. I'm glad you took the time to document your process. I just got too excited and sprinted onward forgetting process photos, oops! She is a nice example of how vibrant Rit can be when using the stovetop directions. I didn't note any negative change in the joints or headcap after mine (like had been mentioned on the old forum). Did you?

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sun May 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Kitty-kat and Dollyay, thanks! I hadn't necessarily intended for her to be that dark, but I'm happy with the color. Personally, I'd rather her be darker than lighter anyway. She's extremely easy to photograph this way.

Artful Owl, I didn't notice anything happen to her joints or headcap. I can't quite remember what they mentioned, but actually my biggest fear was that she'd end up speckled. Sioux mentioned on her blog that blue tones tend to cause speckling. Interestingly, I didn't notice that with Nealie Jean's Rit dye experiment, so maybe it's more of a problem with Dylon? But I felt that using the stovetop method and keeping the heat up would be my best chance of avoiding the speckling.

My only fail is that I didn't bend her joints in the dye bath. I 100% anticipated that the dye would penetrate the knee and elbow joints, but it really didn't. I'll likely document fixing this once I've bought more blue dye. I've temporarily fixed it with watercolor pencils.

I will likely dye again--I've got more virtual Star Wars aliens. I anticipate mixing different colors next time, so I'm glad I made my mistake this time when it's just the one color. There's something about the dyeing process; it's very addictive.

Now it's time for a mini Project Runway challenge: design and craft an outfit that could fit into the Star Wars universe. I think I need a pep talk from Tim Gunn.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Sun May 24, 2015 5:57 pm

"Makie it work!"

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top