Dying the tan darker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dying the tan darker?

Post by Miss Heny on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 am

I am curious, is there a way to dye the tan darker to were it like the older makies? I know the new tan Makies are lighter, but some of the pics of the older ones show them to e a much more lovely dark olive tan and I am curious if there is a way to get that color with out having to buy a pure white makie haha.
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dying the tan darker?

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:12 am

I think it's still a batch by batch thing tbh. I mean, I have 6 caramels here. three of them look more tanned, two are really quite pale.
No rhyme or reason to it.

Just like I have 4 caramels and not one is the same tone. one is yellowish, one has a reddish undertone, two are quite a lot darker.

I know someone used watered down paint once to darken up the tan colour, you could theoretically also use crafty blushing to make a doll seem darker. Like brush over the porus surface a deeper brown or yellow tone?
We shall need to do experiments bwhahaha.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:09 pm

lol well i was thinking of doing a HIGHLY diluted bath of dark brown rit dye to darken things up XD
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm

You can darken makie material that comes from the lab already dyed by re-dying it. I'd be super careful about unintended dye reactions, (just a disclaimer). But I took a strawberry milk hand pack assortment and used Rit dye to color match a couple of the hands to my caramel and coco makies. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a larger scale in your sitiation, especially since you are just trying to deepen the tan and not color match anything.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:25 am

For your reference, the Makie below was dyed with Rit Royal Blue:

The dye process involved washing all the parts, then adding two cups of boiling hot water to a plastic container with one whole pack of Rit powder dye and stirring until it was dissolved. She then added two more cups of hot water from the tap, stirred, and added the Makie parts, stirring for 30-40 minutes. I don't know if the parts were wet when she added them to the dye.

On the other hand, I used the same dye--Rit powder dye in Royal blue--and got the following:

The difference is that I added the whole dye packet to lightly boiling water on the stovetop, then added 1 cup of white vinegar, then added pre-cleaned, wet Makie parts. I stirred them constantly over low flame for 3 minutes. The water was at a low boil the whole time.

I think the two experiences are evidence that heat and vinegar make a darker, richer color than quantity of dye and duration of dying. You definitely don't want cold water, because the dye needs to dissolve, but I wouldn't boil the Makie either in your case.

Also, important to note, Sioux has used Dylon and had any blue-tone in her dye caused speckling, so I would recommend Rit, since you never know what colors are making tan or brown.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:41 am

Yea I actually did dyed already lol it was for my first Makie (of which i must make a post of this process) I used liquid rit dye Pearl grey and got a purplish-blue-grey color o.- I have plans of using liquid dark brown dye because tt does dye lighter and I will be using a diluted amount. (AKA not the whole bottle.)
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:44 am

Did you ever get to redye your makie a darker tan, MissHenry? My new, cool caramel makie is missing all the caramel and looks ivory/waxy :/ she's just as pale as my strawberry makie, except the strawberry looks lively and pinkish while the cool caramel looks kind of corpse-like in comparison. I can make it work for the character since she's gonna have green hair and all, but... Yeah. It'd be ideal if I can darken her a little.
ichibidrop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:08 am

Haven't done it just yet haha, I finally got that victim ordered and if she is super pale i will:)
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top