Another new face

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another new face

Post by Lace on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Hey there!
My names Jas and I guess I'm new here.
I'm a 25 year old agender individual living in the south of England.

I don't own a makie yet, I've not even ordered one, so maybe I've jumped the gun a little by signing up here, I don't know. I've been interested in these dolls for some time now, a year perhaps? Everything about them is really appealing to me from the fact you get to design their faces, the fact they're 3D printed, the fact they only take 2 weeks to be made, finished and shipped (that's crazy!!), the fact they're so customisable, poseable, durable..  there's just so many great, positive things about them! I love the whole concept and I'm fascinated to see how they'll change and grow over time as the technology becomes more refined. I'm also thrilled they're making #toyslikeme makies and accessories, is it true they're going to be making a wheelchair at some point in the future? That'll be amazing!
It's easy to geek out over them, lets just put it that way. Also, them being made here in England, I don't have to worry about import tax!

I am hoping to get one of these fantastic dolls in the next couple of months, it's my birthday next month and that feels like as good an excuse as any to splash out.
Until then though I'm here to look at all your adorable dolls and to, hopefully, find out what clothes fit these little folks.
I have a shelf full of Monster High dolls and a handful of Pullips (and a Tangkou) plus I'm awaiting my first BJD, so I'm not new to dolls in general. Though the ones I have currently are primarily for display purposes and I don't mess around with them much, I'm planning to be a bit more hands on with my first Makie.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another new face

Post by Tesa on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Welcome Jas!
Tesa

View user profile https://mymakie.com/people/tesa/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Hello! Dolls are great, aren't they? Smile

-----
I like to sew things.
http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NoMorePanicDreams on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello and welcome. I have some pullips too and I just got my first makie they are very adorable. :3
NoMorePanicDreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you for all the kind welcomes, and sorry for inadvertently writing an essay up there! I was a bit nervous!
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoMorePanicDreams on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

It's cool you had awesome things to say though.
NoMorePanicDreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Yes, welcome! This is a place for all people who like Makies. Many people join who don't have a Makie, but they don't hold out long against temptation. Wink

I got into Makies for many of the same reasons as you. The durability and customizability were really big selling points. I've designed 44 virtual Makies so far. It's really fun to play with the creator.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Oh wow, 44!? It really is amazing how much diversity there is in just a few sliders. They definitely are fun to make though.
Here are the ones I've designed so far (assuming the link works)
I suspect the first one I'll make real will be Devon, he was the first makie I ever designed back in September of last year and I still really love him. Though 'WonderSpace' is tempting just because I'm really curious as to how she'd look in real life.
Thank you for your kind welcome!
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 am

I have no desire to have all of them printed! I just like going in and designing characters. I have a similar hobby with computer games--design a face, exit to menu, design another face.

Devon looks really cool. Though, I agree about 'WonderSpace' being interesting. There aren't a lot of Makies with a prominent jawline. Frowns are also not so common. If you're interested in seeing nonstandard faces in the nylon, Artful Owl and I each have Makies with square jaws and grumpy expressions and she has a really cool frowning girl named Sour who is dyed green.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 am

Ah ha ha, ok. I was going to say how much space do you have!? I feel that though I get really into character creators for games, it's a wonder I ever get round to playing the actual game. (One of my makie designs is actually based on my DA:I inquisitor)

I just went and had a look at them all and wow! They're all so gorgeous and full of personality and attitude. Sour is stunning, I was thinking 'WonderSpace' would be nice dyed green if I ever got her. Maybe I should try another colour though.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:34 am

Hey Lace, welcome to the forums. Your digital Makies look fantastic. WonderSpace and Gimra both catch my eye. I hope you do decide to make someone "real" soon!

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 am

Lace wrote:Ah ha ha, ok. I was going to say how much space do you have!? I feel that though I get really into character creators for games, it's a wonder I ever get round to playing the actual game. (One of my makie designs is actually based on my DA:I inquisitor)

I just went and had a look at them all and wow! They're all so gorgeous and full of personality and attitude. Sour is stunning, I was thinking 'WonderSpace' would be nice dyed green if I ever got her. Maybe I should try another colour though.

That's cool you've got your Inquisitor! I've designed, but not printed, two Dragon Age Origins player characters, my Hawke from DA II, and Merrill. I do okay with Bioware stuff because I really want to know what happens, but all I did with poor Elder Scrolls was design characters and mill around collecting feathers and doing the easy quests.

If you didn't dye 'WonderSpace' green, then what color?

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Artful Owl wrote:Hey Lace, welcome to the forums. Your digital Makies look fantastic. WonderSpace and Gimra both catch my eye. I hope you do decide to make someone "real" soon!
Thank you! Gimra is actually my inquisitor, I plan to tweak her a little more and then eventually create her and send her to someone with faceup skills that will do her justice.
I'm going to try and order one so it'll arrive on or just before my birthday, so I can open it then.

jupiternames wrote:That's cool you've got your Inquisitor! I've designed, but not printed, two Dragon Age Origins player characters, my Hawke from DA II, and Merrill. I do okay with Bioware stuff because I really want to know what happens, but all I did with poor Elder Scrolls was design characters and mill around collecting feathers and doing the easy quests.

Ooh, is Merrill one you're planning to print some day? She's adorable it'd be so sweet to have a doll of her!
I've not played Elder Scrolls, though I've been contemplating it now it's out on ps4, so thanks for the heads up. I imagine I'd be much the same.
I'm really not sure, I always had green in mind when I was designing her but I don't want to step on anyone's toes with a character too similar to anyone else's. Maybe a pale blue? With orange patches perhaps.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Lace wrote:Hey there!
My names Jas and I guess I'm new here.
I'm a 25 year old agender individual living in the south of England.

Hi Jas, welcome to the group....excuse my ignorance but what is an "agender individual"?

Love the Makies you have designed so far and look forward to hearing which you decide to eventually order first...beware though, it is very difficult to stop at just one...they do rather have a habit of multiplying!

This is a great group!

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks!
It just means I'm neither male nor female, I only really mention it so people won't make an assumption and use she or he pronouns.

Oh, I don't doubt it, I've not even ordered my first one yet and I think I'm pretty solidly sold on getting at least a couple more. Oops!
I don't have any sewing skills (I actually made a friend to all my sewing for me at school) but I'm hoping to try out some of the patterns I've seen shared here. It seems wrong not to have a handmade item or two of clothing for a doll you've already put a piece of yourself into, so to speak.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Lace wrote:Thank you! Gimra is actually my inquisitor, I plan to tweak her a little more and then eventually create her and send her to someone with faceup skills that will do her justice.
I'm going to try and order one so it'll arrive on or just before my birthday, so I can open it then.

I'm really not sure, I always had green in mind when I was designing her but I don't want to step on anyone's toes with a character too similar to anyone else's. Maybe a pale blue? With orange patches perhaps.

Ohh. I'm interested to see how Gimra will look real. Awesome, I'm sure.  If you ever do decide to dye a makie green, Sour will be thrilled. She likes being unique, but it is a bit lonely too. More green Makies for everyone!

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Lace wrote:Thanks!
It just means I'm neither male nor female, I only really mention it so people won't make an assumption and use she or he pronouns.

Oh, I don't doubt it, I've not even ordered my first one yet and I think I'm pretty solidly sold on getting at least a couple more. Oops!
I don't have any sewing skills (I actually made a friend to all my sewing for me at school) but I'm hoping to try out some of the patterns I've seen shared here. It seems wrong not to have a handmade item or two of clothing for a doll you've already put a piece of yourself into, so to speak.

For sewing skills there are a lot of tutorials online in places like YouTube. Almost all the sewing knowledge I have comes from watching people's videos on "How To Sew."
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:53 am

Lace wrote:
Artful Owl wrote:Hey Lace, welcome to the forums. Your digital Makies look fantastic. WonderSpace and Gimra both catch my eye. I hope you do decide to make someone "real" soon!
Thank you! Gimra is actually my inquisitor, I plan to tweak her a little more and then eventually create her and send her to someone with faceup skills that will do her justice.

jupiternames wrote:That's cool you've got your Inquisitor! I've designed, but not printed, two Dragon Age Origins player characters, my Hawke from DA II, and Merrill. I do okay with Bioware stuff because I really want to know what happens, but all I did with poor Elder Scrolls was design characters and mill around collecting feathers and doing the easy quests.

Ooh, is Merrill one you're planning to print some day? She's adorable it'd be so sweet to have a doll of her!
I've not played Elder Scrolls, though I've been contemplating it now it's out on ps4, so thanks for the heads up. I imagine I'd be much the same.

Maybe some day I'll get Merrill, but there's several in line ahead of her. I've been ordering from two groups of Makies so far, characters based on the rats I've had and Star Wars aliens, or at least the aliens that are basically funny color human shapes, like my Chiss. Actually, I think my next Makie will be another dye job. Smile

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Artful Owl wrote:Ohh. I'm interested to see how Gimra will look real. Awesome, I'm sure.  If you ever do decide to dye a makie green, Sour will be thrilled. She likes being unique, but it is a bit lonely too. More green Makies for everyone!
Thank you, she's a dawrven character and I've just gotten really attached to her. Yeah? Well, if you're ok with it then maybe I'll got ahead with the green. I think I'd want her to be a slightly yellower green anyway, though I've never tried dying anything before so managing any shade of green would be an accomplishment!

Chove wrote:For sewing skills there are a lot of tutorials online in places like YouTube. Almost all the sewing knowledge I have comes from watching people's videos on "How To Sew."
Thanks! I'll definitely take a look! My mum used to do a bit of sewing so I'm hoping she'll be willing to teach me a little (and lend me her sewing machine because I do not have the attention span required for hand sewing).

jupiternames wrote:Maybe some day I'll get Merrill, but there's several in line ahead of her. I've been ordering from two groups of Makies so far, characters based on the rats I've had and Star Wars aliens, or at least the aliens that are basically funny color human shapes, like my Chiss. Actually, I think my next Makie will be another dye job. Smile
Characters based on your rats? That's such an adorable idea! Bless! I don't know a whole lot about Star Wars (I always fell more into the Star Trek side on things) but I've been watching Rebels at the behest of my sister. A Twi'lek makie would be awesome, would just need to make the lekku. Do people mod their makies much? I don't see a topic for it here (unless I've just managed to miss it) and would be interested to know what materials would work best.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:11 am

Haha, well, I like Trek too. I just like Star Wars a bit more. I've also watched Rebels--I really love seeing Chopper grump around. I suppose a Twi'lek makie would be the dream, but I'm not sure how I would want to make the lekku. I mean, I'd want them to be flexible, but cloth seems wrong, somehow. My plan is to make a few human-shaped Makies: a Zeltron (pink skin), a Mirialan (greenish yellow skin with tattoos), a Ratataki (greyish white, no hair), then maybe try a Zabrak or a Devaronian. I've already made a Chiss and I've had a great time dyeing her and figuring out her personality.

Most of the modding I've seen was done on the classics. I've seen cat ears and moving, glowing eyes, and lego add-ons. Oh, and I think there's a forum member here who has a Makie with an artificial leg, I think it's Fakkel who has that one. You might try the old forums if you want info on modding (https://mymakie.com/forum/). I know Sugru has been tried.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:58 pm

For the lekku I'm guessing you'd want rubber or something, flexible but not totally different from the plastic so they wouldn't seem out of place. I've no idea what processes that would require though, hmm. It sounds like you've got a lot planned already though, wow. I'm very much looking forward to how they turn out (I'm going to need to study Star Wars species too!).

Thank you for the info and that link! There's really just so many things you could do with these dolls, it'd be easy to turn one into quite a big project.
I need to calm down a bit I can't even sew a skirt never mind trying to plan out dramatic modifications Embarassed

Anyway, I have some news! I've now officially ordered my first makie!!
I won't be able to see him until the 25th though, as that's my birthday. I have three weeks of impatience ahead of me, eek.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Yay! Another addi-- I mean..enthusiast in the making. I'm looking forward to pictures, after the 25th that is.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 am

Lace wrote:For the lekku I'm guessing you'd want rubber or something, flexible but not totally different from the plastic so they wouldn't seem out of place. I've no idea what processes that would require though, hmm. It sounds like you've got a lot planned already though, wow. I'm very much looking forward to how they turn out (I'm going to need to study Star Wars species too!).

Thank you for the info and that link! There's really just so many things you could do with these dolls, it'd be easy to turn one into quite a big project.
I need to calm down a bit I can't even sew a skirt never mind trying to plan out dramatic modifications Embarassed

Anyway, I have some news! I've now officially ordered my first makie!!
I won't be able to see him until the 25th though, as that's my birthday. I have three weeks of impatience ahead of me, eek.
Oooo, congrats! Did you end up choosing Devon after all?

I agree that rubber would be ideal. I guess I could always look into how people make their lekku for cons. But yeah, we'll see if all those Makies happen. I know that the next one I print will probably be one of them, but I'd also like to pick up Lottie at some point. She's another rat-inspired girl.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lace on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:25 pm

Thank you!!
Yeah I went with Devon, I'd feel guilty if I hadn't really, I'm so excited how am I going to wait almost three weeks to see him! I went to print this morning.

Well jupiternames, I look forward to seeing whoever you decide to make next. Lottie is absolutely adorable, I love what you've done with her nose especially. Honestly they all look so sweet and full of personality.
Lace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top