Custom Makie eyes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Custom Makie eyes!

Post by nattherat on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:09 pm

I was thinking about opening a shop for these, but I'd like to gauge interest first. Very Happy The next makie I have arriving is a character who is part-goat, so I needed specific eyes for him. Goat/sheep eyes aren't common among BJD eyes, so before long I realised I'd have to make my own.
I don't think I'm the first person to do this, and I probably won't be the last either!

To start, here's the goat eyes I made, modelled by Aurella:

These ones aren't open to offers/trades or anything, because they're specifically for my next makie.  Laughing

Next I made some more toon/stylised eyes, kind of based on the mascot of the small indie publisher I'm with:

And then these ones:

These ones are hard to photograph, so I'll describe them: they're pink, with tiny flowers drawn in them, and blue heart-shaped pupils.

Here's Aurella and Elisabeth modelling two of the pairs together, since Elisabeth lends herself better to the cutesy eyes!

These are actually extremely fun and rewarding to do haha, so I'm almost definitely going to do more. I'll try to get some better photos once the new makie arrives. If anyone is interested in having me make some for them, let me know and I'll see if I can figure something out.

Has anyone else made their own? Very Happy
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Custom Makie eyes!

Post by DollYay on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm

They turned out great May i ask what are they painted onto?  Smile

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Of course you can! Very Happy They're acrylic, just like ordinary makie eyes.

Normal makie eyes are made out of a thinner and also transparent acrylic though, with a thin layer of white (paint?) on the inside - it's what gives them their greyed appearance. The pupil and the iris are on the same "layer" and the lens is fairly flat because it's part of the same piece of plastic as the entire eye, so you don't get much depth with them. It's why I initially switched to glass eyes, I wasn't terribly keen on the default eyes (just personal preference really. I like the white part to be really contrasting with the iris/pupil).

I'm using a much thicker entirely-white acrylic here, and using a higher-domed lens bit so that there's some layering and 3D-trickery with the pupil. The result is actually very close to glass eyes, without the higher cost or heavier weight, and making half-rounds means I can actually use them with the original eye mechanism. So I honestly might do all of my eyes like this from now on!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:06 pm

these are awesome, love the goat eyes! You could do squid kids using a similar thing hah. Once upon a time Makies totally made tentacle arms. Ahem.

I was thinking about buying some cheap blanks on etsy and playing about with painting and such random eyes. But oh man, these are preeeettttyyyyy.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Wow - those are amazing!

IndigoAndAsh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank you so much P_M and Indigo!

@Purple_Monkfish: Definitely! Haha, I would love if those tentacles were still offered. I totally get why they shifted away from fantasy offerings (no more green skin and the like), but gosh do I want fantasy offerings! XD Since I drew the pupil fairly narrow, the eyes can be rotated to make acceptable cat/reptile eyes too.

If you make any, I'd love to see! I'll be making some more soon, it was a friend's birthday recently and they've been really wanting some custom sparkly eyes, so it's off to hobbycraft with me next week to see if I can find small-enough glitter and flakes. XD
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I would definitely be interested in some! This is really exciting. I've been looking for a long time now for eyes that look like human albino eyes. Also, if you ever make more, those goat eyes are amazing. I would certainly buy a pair. If you open a shop, would you do customs?

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 pm

@jupiternames: I'd be happy to do custom requests in a shop! I'm thinking I'll definitely try a few more goat eyes too (and animal eyes in general). I'm happy with the ones I made, but I might be able to make them even better if I practice more.

It'll take a few weeks for my inventory to be restocked (I'm out of a few art materials at the moment), but I think afterwards I'll be happy to resurrect my poor neglected etsy to put some eyes on!

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:35 pm

nattherat wrote:Thank you so much P_M and Indigo!

@Purple_Monkfish: Definitely! Haha, I would love if those tentacles were still offered. I totally get why they shifted away from fantasy offerings (no more green skin and the like), but gosh do I want fantasy offerings! XD Since I drew the pupil fairly narrow, the eyes can be rotated to make acceptable cat/reptile eyes too.

If you make any, I'd love to see! I'll be making some more soon, it was a friend's birthday recently and they've been really wanting some custom sparkly eyes, so it's off to hobbycraft with me next week to see if I can find small-enough glitter and flakes. XD
If you can access a 3d printer I think they have the tenticls on thingyverse...

Last edited by DollYay on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos arg.)

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:48 pm

I can't unfortunately. ;A; I don't know anyone who has got one, otherwise I'm sure I would have had several of the things available on there printed!

It's okay though. Very Happy I more meant it's a shame the fantasy offerings aren't there for everyone. I'd potentially be able to sculpt tentacle arms for my makies myself if I wanted to, but not everyone has access to art supplies or has practice in them.

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 am

Those eyes look great! I like the eyes Makie Labs offers, especially the green, but with only 6 colors the options are a bit limited.

ForestGreen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks ForestGreen! I agree, and I think even in wider circles, unusual and fantasy eyes can be harder to find. 

Here's a better photo of those pink & blue ones! (plus Aurella's updated faceup/carved eyes)
The weathers been pretty bad, I only really got this one before it started raining again. I really hope I can get some daylight photos tomorrow!

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top