Removing Makie Face-up?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Removing Makie Face-up?

Post by sigsi on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Back in the beginning of summer, I ordered one girl Makie. She came with little/barely any face-up (which I liked for her character).
My recent order had another girl Makie and she came with more of a face-up (eyebrows a bit darker, added blush).
Now I have another girl ordered, and wanted her to have the eyebrows just not the blush.
----
So, is there anything you guys would recommend for removing the basic Makie face-up/blush? Just water or should I use some sort of rubbing alcohol stuff? (any tips appreciated)

The only time I've ever modified a doll before was a barbie doll. I used rubbing alcohol to remove freckles and water colored pencils to change the color of the eyes. I've never modified a Makie doll.
sigsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing Makie Face-up?

Post by jupiternames on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm

I might start with water. You may not need the alcohol, but it can be used if the blush is tough to remove.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:44 pm

I'd suggest against using alcohol as a cleaner. I suspect it lifts the dye from the doll (based on my own experience), and could result in permanent damage. (this depends on the strength of your cleaner though)

I've heard people say they were able to wash the watercolour off, but I really don't think I'd recommend that either, because watercolour pencils are genuinely designed to become stronger in pigment once water is added. It could get hard to lift it out once you add water, because you'd be encouraging the colour to sink into the doll.

Sioux uses a magic eraser to remove stuff, that might help you. Otherwise, since the faceups on makies from the lab are so light, you might be able to wipe/dab the areas a few times with a dry cloth and lift most of the colour up. An unsealed faceup in just watercolour pencil and pastel only sits on the surface, so hopefully you could pull it all up with a cloth. You almost definitely can with a magic eraser, Sioux removes far more permanent media with it.

Good luck!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Whoops! I think I've used the alcohol, but now that I think about it, I've only used it on white Makies! It doesn't seem to damage the nylon itself, but it makes sense that it could lift dye.

With water, I haven't had any problem either, but maybe it's because I've been removing all the makeup, so I can use a lot of water with soap if necessary.

I can try removing just the blush from Ilaria when she gets here and let you know what happens. I'll be removing all her makeup anyway before I dye her.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm glad you asked this. With my first makie the faceup was barely there so I just sort of did my own faceup over that, but the new girls have very blushy cheeks and I was also wondering how to go about removing some of it.
ichibidrop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:18 pm

The blush came off Jordan just fine using a damp (with water) tissue. The eyeliner took a while to come off, and I did manage to smudge it into a black eye before I got it all off, but that was more me being heavy handed and rubbing it in instead of swiping it away.

IndigoAndAsh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:29 am

This is good information to have. I forgot to request that the Lab not do a faceup on Frost. I've managed to get a lot of the brown watercolor pencil off of her eyebrows with a plain eraser but there is enough brown still there that it will interfere with what I'm planning.

ForestGreen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips Smile By the sounds of it, I'm leaning towards using a magic eraser with light water. I definitely won't use the rubbing alcohol, I didn't even think about it damaging or removing the skin tone. Razz
I'll post the results back here in about two weeks once she arrives.
sigsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Just to tell my experience, with Sci, she came with a mini faceup which I enhanced with eyeliner and eyelashes. I removed the Makie Labs eyeliner with a damp old washcloth. For any other doll I would normally use Acetone Nail Polish Remover. But NEVER use that on Makies, as it will melt them Lol! Smile

Check out my Makie gallery!

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:02 am

Thanks for the tips guys

Follow me on Instagram @tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:09 am

Oops, forgot to update when she arrived.
Well I ended up using a magic eraser and some water, the blush came right off smoothly (only took a few minutes) Smile.

To be who you want to be and generally happy, is better than to be who you're not while living in mental pain.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Digital Makies
sigsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:15 am

Yeah I noticed that when I was trying to get my fingerprint off Talia's face.

Follow me on Instagram @tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top