Captain Khuda-Torba (Tor)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Captain Khuda-Torba (Tor)

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Honestly I almost didn't want to touch his faceup he was so beautiful, the high cheek bones, the almond shaped eyes, that broad almost snout-like nose just... he was SO pretty!
The clip cracked me up. I've never gotten a Makie with a hair clip before, and the fact the first to get one happened to be a boy and such an androgynous boy at that just made me laugh.

But I decided I would forge ahead with my plan for him anyway, and so i opened up his head to get his eye mech out and... it was stuck fast.
I pushed and pushed, I cried in pain because it hurt my fingers very badly and then CRACK, the whole upper peg snapped clean off.
Just like Alias' eye mech, only this time there was actual force applied because it was JAMMED.

I glued it back in place, i'll get some milliput for a more stable fix later but i'm NOT impressed. Second boy doll in a row to have this happen, these dolls are designed their eyes SHOULD be able to be taken out without breaking the mechanism or the pegs that hold it in! I shouldn't be able to inflict PAIN on myself trying to get the eyes out in the first place!
It certainly shouldnt' snap clean off like that.
And here's the thing, this is my 17th Makie doll. Alias was my 15th (or 16th depending, he and Moniker arrived together after all) so i've had 15 other Makies all cope with having their eye mechs removed and put back in multiple times to change their eye position, they've all been fine with this and while some have been tricky to get off the first time, not ONE has actually BROKEN till now.
Yeah I can fix it, i think, but I shouldn't have to fix a doll that cost this much money. It bothers me a lot, and makes me super nervous about future dolls (I have 2 more on the way, will they break as soon as I get them out their tubes too?)

Yeah, i'm upset. Sadly i think all the lab will do is offer to reprint the head but I don't really want to have to wait another couple of weeks only for it to happen all over again you know? Besides which, it's a waste of resources when I CAN glue and milliput it back together or just use eye putty. The point is, I shouldn't have to do any of that.
Bah.

Anyway, after gluing the peg back into place the eye mech stayed in place mostly, just a bit more fragile than i'd like. I don't think i'll be moving him about much that's for sure.
So I started work on his faceup anyway. I love doing faceups, i'm not letting the lab screwing up taking from me the enjoyment of a new doll to paint. grr grrr.

First he got new eyes. They're actually just Makie lab eyes with the white part painted black and sealed. My other white Makie has full round glass eyes and they're really heavy, but look awesome. I might order him a matching pair at some point but for now, these are a perfectly fine stand in.

I admit it, I didn't bother to get Sa'dii down off the shelf to compare markings, I just went with what felt right.
I also cut his hair a bit shorter.

He's so pretty.

Though don't let that pretty face fool you. He's still a dangerous intergalactic criminal.

Sa'dii says that even if he IS her brother, he's still facing justice and she's still bringing him in.

I don't think he took her very seriously. He started cracking jokes about the size of her gun. *sigh*

Now I do really love him, he's a truly beautiful doll but i'm still miffed that two of my 3 newest dolls were defective. -_-
I really hope my next two are perfect, or I think I might actually cry.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Captain Khuda-Torba (Tor)

Post by Tesa on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:58 pm

He looks awesome, love the face up! The thing with the eye mechs really sucks though, I'm avoiding to get those out, because I'm so afraid they might break.
Tesa

View user profile https://mymakie.com/people/tesa/

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:05 pm

He is so so pretty!!! His eyes look very cool and I love the contrast between them and his blue hair and his white skin Smile I also would have been scared of ruining him.

I'm sorry that the eye mech broke off :/ The two girl makies that I got also came with very stiff eye mechs and I have to turn the dolls upside down and use three fingers to take it out (good thing I have skinny fingers). Otherwise it feels like it could break. I only have 1 girl older than fhese ones and her eye mech comes right off, but I can't tell if it's because these ones are new or just made to fit way tighter.
ichibidrop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Well there's a discussion about this on the facebook group atm. Looks like the thickness of the overall print is thinner for these newer ones. Which may explain why I keep breaking the eye mechs with my fat clumsy fingers.
The skull cap is a good way to check this out, I took Sa'dii's wig off and Tor's and yep, the walls of the cap are i'm sure thinner. The cap feels more ... squishy? just not quite as rigid and robust.
the back plate is another example. If I take a bobby pin, i can pry Sa'dii's back plate off no problem. It pops straight off. With Tor however, the bobby pin instead just gouges into the soft nylon and the back plate won't come off.

-_-

hmmm. Cost cutting? I wonder if they've reduced the thickness by a few micrometres or whatever thinking "oh it'll be fine and save us some money" and in most cases it wouldn't be a problem because kids, the target market, aren't going to remove the eyes. But for adults? who love the customisation element? Being unable to remove the eyes for fear of breaking the doll takes away a huge aspect of the makie's charm. Certain i'm now terrified of removing the eyes from my next two and that means no faceup, no dye, nothing.

NOT a happy customer right now. I kinda feel lied to, like, they've fobbed us off with an inferior product and think we won't notice.
Well we did notice. I have 19 Makies in this house, I think at this point I should be able to remove the eye mech without breaking them!

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:32 pm

My new ones are in yet, and I LOVE how you did him....but hearing this ugh. Makie seems to be ticking off everyone eh?
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:44 pm

They're not doing so hot this month no Hen.

thankfully the eye mech thing is internal so you can slap dash fix it and it doesn't have to look pretty. But i'm worried about the strength of the rest of the doll now.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Am now too, I have a doll that was made to be a TRAVEL buddy...but now i fear breaking ;-; not happy not at all..
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Love his face up, he looks great!

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Oh man that's awful about the eye thing Sad Boo to thinner material. But your doll looks amaaaaazing!

-----
I like to sew things.
http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I shall test the plastic thickness in a bit. My wigs are glued on so I hadn't noticed. However I did notice last time that the head overall felt more bendy, but i didn't think much of it. The thing I'm most unhappy about atm is the caramel skin tone. It's ivory, just as pale as strawberry but waxy, and it sort of matches the tone on the makies website. I wonder if it's just my batch or if they won't have tan makies anymore Sad
ichibidrop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm

All my caramels are kinda... caucasian toned. Similar colour to strawberry but more yellow instead of pink, but same sort of depth. I don't think they really ever had a proper deep tan.  are the new caramels even paler than usual?

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:27 pm

How recent a change are we talking about re: caramel? My Blossom (arrived last Monday) doesn't seem noticeably lighter than Willow who arrived at the beginning of July.

-----
I like to sew things.
http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:11 pm

My first caramel (Jian) was uh.. november last year? my most recent was Cass in July. He's a bit "greyer" for want of a better term, but they're pretty close. I noticed the difference today when I was changing their hands around.
I haven't ordered any coloured ones this batch, they've all been white.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:47 am

:/ huh. Maybe it's the way it's supposed to be then. It's just that in most pictures the caramel and cocoa dolls seem to have a warm tone to them, and mine look grayish. Even my cocoa Makie has this greyish tint to her, and the first thing I thought about the caramel one was that she looked like a corpse. And I don't know, since the name says cool caramel I guess I expected the a light caramel tone, not ivory. I can still make it work, it just wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Maybe once I get her face done she'll look more alive.
ichibidrop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:04 am

Tor is beautiful! Wow! His story seems pretty cool, too Smile

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:48 am

Tor is very handsome and you've done a lovely job with his faceup. Your troubles with the eye mechs make me glad that I don't want to change anyone's eyes right now. I will be sure to remember to be extra careful when, and if, I do want to change them.

ForestGreen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top