Hello from Belgium

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Belgium

Post by LisaK on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Lisa from Belgium. I'm 32. 

I don't actually own a Makie yet. I'm thinking about ordering one in the next few months. Who knows, maybe their price will have dropped a bit by then santa  (dream on, right?)

My approach here is probably very different from other members. It all started when I decided I wanted to get better at sewing. I wanted to practice my skills on smaller scale clothes; basically to avoid ruining too much fabric at once lol So doll clothes were the cheapest thing to start with. But then of course came the question which doll I would actually use for my miniature outfits. Since photography is my other hobby, I was looking for something versatile enough and photogenic. That's when I almost settled for Blythe. But then I figured I wanted something more unique. I found that all the dolls out there - even after getting customized - still looked somewhat generic. That's when I stumbled upon Makies ... What a great concept. This offered the possibility for me to get my own unique doll AND it can stand on its own two feet without any support! I love you I love the fact that you can easily change their eyes and hair, and basically create whatever doll you have in mind. 

I'd love to get mine with all the extra sets of hands and feet. It will be perfect for my photography! Unfortunately it's a bit on the expensive side. Especially since I'm not in the UK nor US, so I saw that shipping will cost $33 on top the $74.99 doll, plus the extra hands and feet I'd like to get too ... Yikes. It looks like I'll have to save some money first. Meanwhile I'm reading a ton about them and I also enjoy going through all the reviews and pictures posted by other customers. Because I'm still not 100% sure yet about the face I would end up ordering, so seeing all the different facial features and colors definitely helps!

LisaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by Artful Owl on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Welcome LisaK! It sounds like a Makie would be great for your purposes. They are spirited little things, and inspire a great deal of creativity in my experience.

I will say that $74.99 is the least expensive they have ever been (or are likely to be without a flash sale of some kind). They only recently came down from $115.00 (US) because of the new injection molded plastic body (I saw your other question thread too.), but I can see how the shipping cost would be a deterrent for you. I hope you decide to take the plunge!

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Gosh that sounds expensive shipping to Belgium!  I would have expected it to be a lot less than that - guessing it is because of the expedited Fedex shipping?

They are great though, and if you do eventually take the plunge, you will love them I am sure.

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:12 pm

I sort of came at them from the sewing angle as well -- I didn't know I liked to sew until a friend got me a pattern for Barbie clothes a few years ago. I sew for dolls for a few reasons, the main one being how expensive it would be buying enough fabric to cover a human. Makies are a good size for sewing, I find. They do make good models with the standing up and the ability to customise Smile

-----
I like to sew things.
http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaK on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Chove wrote:I sort of came at them from the sewing angle as well -- I didn't know I liked to sew until a friend got me a pattern for Barbie clothes a few years ago. I sew for dolls for a few reasons, the main one being how expensive it would be buying enough fabric to cover a human. Makies are a good size for sewing, I find. They do make good models with the standing up and the ability to customise Smile
How cool! I love your tumblr Very Happy

LisaK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Very Happy

-----
I like to sew things.
http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/
Chove

View user profile http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/