Makie eyes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Makie eyes

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Makies take 16mm cabochon or "half round" eyes. However, that doesn't mean they can't wear a large range of other eyes.

14mm and 18mm eyes have been made to work, though with both you may need a bit of eye putty as they won't fit the eye mechanism.

or will they?

A quick "how to" from Lovesbloom suggests that turning the mechanism around the other way allows for full round eyes to be fitted.

Last edited by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Makie eyes

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:24 pm

From Lovesbloom:

The eye mech holds the half-round hollow eyes which are easily removable.

Xue Wei's new eyes are solid and cannot be held the same way.

It's easier to place the eyes in the head first

The original direction of the eye mechanism

Switch the mechanism around

…and place in position

Et Voila! Round eyes held snug in place

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:25 pm

LovesBloom says: I purchased these particular eyes on eBay from a seller called ethersell88. They are 18mm light purple glass eyes and cost about £3 to £4 if I remember correctly. They come in other colours and I think I've seen other sellers who stock similar if you can't find what you want with this seller
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:14 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Makies take 6mm cabochon or "half round" eyes. However, that doesn't mean they can't wear a large range of other eyes.

14mm and 18mm eyes have been made to work, though with both you may need a bit of eye putty as they won't fit the eye mechanism.

I think makie eyes 18mm (according to info on the old forum, and personal experience).

I have seen several makies with eyes that have been switched out for 16mm for a different look (maybe Sioux's Mushroom and Miki's Miki- chime in if I'm wrong) and positioned with eye putty. Also recently purchased a pair of 16mm half rounds that are sort of being pinned in by the mech as they are too small to fit on the mech propperly. I haven't had an easy time finding much of a selection of 18mm half round eyes though, save for the custom kits on Etsy.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 am

Odd, because everything I could find on the forum said 16mm so I was working on that being correct.
They are odd half rounds though, not like most of the others. I think you'll likely always need some sort of putty for anything but the official eyes.

I'm working on a little experiement to see if it's possible to remove the paint from the lab eyes at all. I managed to get the backing paper off one but not the paint yet, I might see what nailpolish remover does bwhahahaha.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaergo on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:05 am

Nailpolish removal on clear plastic might cause it to cloud up, due to the acetone in the removal. Just an heads up.

"It's a Makie World, after all!" My makies are here

I also sell on Etsy, custom woodwork. World Of Vencka

My Makies made real: Vencka, Fáelán (pronounced Fai-Lin) and Malice
Vaergo

View user profile http://Www.vencka.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Here is part of a conversation about eyes in the old forum:

shan-sha225I : was wondering, what is the size of the Makie eyes in mm because I wanted to by some purple eyes for my Makie.

Poklfil : The eyes are 18mm but to fit in the sockets with the brackets they need to be half circle plastic ones. I haven't tried the masterpiece silicone ones in them yet (which are half circle too)I ordered some 18mm glass ones that I want to try without the bracket (white tack them in place) but not sure regarding the weight of the eyes if this will work. If the eyes are blown glass round they may be light enough but I have had some solid glass ones in the past on my other dolls and these may be too top heavy for Makie. Hope that's a help.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh I use acetone free stuff, it'll probably do nothing but hey, i have a spare eye hehe.

oh man, this is confusing. Someone get the official line from the lab!

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaergo on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm

I bought Faelan 16mm eyes and although held in place by an inverted eyebracket and white tack, they fit great. 18mm might fit as well, but as pointed out, they are hard to come by. Hence my thought would be they are 16 mm on Makies.

"It's a Makie World, after all!" My makies are here

I also sell on Etsy, custom woodwork. World Of Vencka

My Makies made real: Vencka, Fáelán (pronounced Fai-Lin) and Malice
Vaergo

View user profile http://Www.vencka.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I have measured stock Makie eyes. They are 18mm. If you don't want to take my word for it, you may go to the old forum (while it is still up) and type 18mm in the search box. Other, perhaps more believable, folks will pop up saying that is what is meant to fit the mech. People have been using and mentioning 16mm because they are more readily available, and some like the smaller irises.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 pm

Good to know, thanks Artful.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:37 am

Many of the 18mm acrylic eyes that are full rounds, can be taken apart to make them half rounds.

Depending on the amount of glue used to hold the two halves together, it can be easy or a bit more difficult.

I've even found some that didn't seem to have any glue at all, the two halves came apart without any effort at all.

While other pairs have had to break along the seam line where the glue was, but even then it was still a fairly clean break right along the seam line.

You might also find an Exacto knife useful too, because you can use it to carefully go over the seam line a few times, cutting through some of the glue, which will help it to break apart cleanly.

The thin blade is also good for helping to carefully pry the two halves apart.

There should be lots of sellers on ebay, and even Etsy with 18mm acrylic eyes, if you aren't getting very many sellers by searching for DOLL eyes, try searching for BJD eyes.

Two of my Makies have full round eyes, I used the inverted eyebracket technique and so far it is working just fine. I think Lochs's might be 18mm acrylic full rounds, and Rayne's might be 16mm glass full rounds. I'll have to check and see.

Also, some of the dealers selling eyes even have D.I. Y. acrylic eyes, where you can use various materials to create your own unique eyes. They only come as half rounds, as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure they even have 18mm ones. ^_^

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 am

I've seen those DIY ones and been sorely tempted heh, they look like they'd be interesting and I have glow in the dark powder that might work if I mixed it with something and painted it on (glowy eyes yessss)

Do you find the full rounds particularly heavy? Makies have pretty excellent balance but their default eyes weigh like.. nothing at all.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 am

Not really, Lochs has glass full rounds, which I'm pretty sure are 18mm, and I haven't found that they interfere with his balance any.

He poses and stands just as well as he did with his original Makie acrylics in, like a little champ. Smile

Rayne has acrylic half rounds, which are 16mm.

She obviously must like this particular pair a lot, because they are the only 16mm acrylics that stayed put and didn't just slip down out of the eyebracket.

I'm not fond of the fit, since you can sort of see space between the eye and the rim of the eye socket, but I'm not going to argue with her about it, not until I have some new eyes to offer her at least! Laughing

I'll probably try and find that same pair in 18mm if I can, if not, then I'll try and find some 18mm that are either very similar, or possibly even more exotic. Wink

BTW: Are you aware that the acrylics come in different dome shapes? Some have high domes which almost come to a point over the iris and pupil, while others are low domed.
This will effect how the eye looks, and in some cases, how well they fit.
I don't think the glass eyes have this so much, if at all.

Anyway, here are pictures of Lochs with his 18mm glass eyes, and Rayne with her 16mm acrylics.

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

Wow wonderful! I've been eyeing up (hurrr hurrr) custom eyes for my vampire Makie (who'll be made real toward the end of the year i'm sure, lol)
There's some pretty cool ones with a sort of shattered effect that I think would work well. i kinda like making my supernatural critters have freaky eyes hehehe.

Just have to bite the bullet and get a hold of some to test in my current crew.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 am

I'm not sure why they posted sideways, they aren't showing as sideways in my picture file on my iPad?!? scratch

Anyone know why, or know how to fix this?

There are some really creative people out there, who are creating really awesome eyes.

Those shattered ones sound cool, I bet they would make great eyes for a vampire. Very Happy

I'm seriously thinking about getting some different eyes for Kyu, I gave him the Makie grey eyes because those are my favorite out of the choices.

However, Ryuu and Shoi also have the grey eyes, so I'd like to find Kyu a pair in a different shade of grey, preferably ones where the iris is black rimmed. Sort of like Rayne's purple eyes are, only in grey.

I might change Shoi's eyes too. Since he and Rayne have turned out to be brother and sister, I'm thinking about getting him a purple pair as well, only I want his eyes to be a little darker than Rayne's.

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Ipad issues... probably because IOS is being a jerk. There may be some auto rotate in IOS that's not present in the forum, goodness knows.

Ooo new eyes sound exciting. I've got all mine in default because i'm cheap lol. But also I kinda dig the black and green eyes honestly, the black ones glitter, it's cool.
Jian's has this odd damage to one that means she has one section that shines brighter, but hey, gives her character. Maybe it's a childhood injury hehehe.

I love strange eyes for vampires. I have a lot of vampire rp characters for various things and have a lot of fun "building my monster" so to speak. Not just looks and such, but going through my big master list of myths and legends and picking stuff I haven't tried before lol.
It's fun.

I'm really eager to order Asher, but sadly I have to wait. Maybe for my birthday in July hahahah.

It's funny though, I love fantasy eyes and fantasy hair yet aside from Fizz, none of my Makies have either of these things. Their designs demanded more realistic hair and eye colours. Funny how that happens huh? I thought for sure i'd end up with an army in rainbow colours but nope, most of them are in fact brunettes.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:It's funny though, I love fantasy eyes and fantasy hair yet aside from Fizz, none of my Makies have either of these things. Their designs demanded more realistic hair and eye colours. Funny how that happens huh? I thought for sure i'd end up with an army in rainbow colours but nope, most of them are in fact brunettes.

Yes, this! I have had the same thing going on until recently. I didn't anticipate my gang being so vocal, specific and normal in their tastes.

Penny, my bonus girl (thanks Makie Labs!), is getting the fantasy treatment though. I found her some minty sparkly acrylic half round eyes. Sparkle eyes never struck my fancy before, but a Makie demands and a human snaps to it.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:40 am

I can't wait to see Penny and hear what the other Makies think of her.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 am

It's true, they take on a life of their own. I think that's what's so addictive about Makies. Unlike other dolls on the market where most of their "character" is preassigned, with Makies you design so much and they just... come alive.
I only have a few regular playline dolls that have done something similar. Jules my fashionita Barbie who was bought for her body and then as soon as she got out the box flat out refused to let me decapitate her (lol). She's hung around ever since, the only Barbie doll I have out on display.
And then I have a couple of action men who have become a running joke (Action Gran and Action Dad). Action Gran just looks so angry all the time, it's too funny.

But yeah, that whole personality thing is so appealing. Love it.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sioux on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:26 pm

I made custom eyes for Elsa-Makie with some DIY'eyes I inherited and even though they're a single layer of plastic they seem to be a few of microns thicker than the default eyes, so squeezing them into the head on the eye mech tends to wedge them into hard-to-alter positions.
In this instance they stayed central in a bit of a squint (which serendipitously works on Disney characters) but I couldn't get them to look in the same direction unless I resorted to putty/white tack. If you own a classic Makie they might go in easier as the head shapes are slightly wider.

I'm pretty pleased with them though but have further plans for experimentation. Oh.. I believe they're 18mm like the default ones... just with thicker plastic (annoyingly).

I can't stop Making Faces!
Sioux

View user profile http://www.littlemoo.me

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:It's true, they take on a life of their own. I think that's what's so addictive about Makies. Unlike other dolls on the market where most of their "character" is preassigned, with Makies you design so much and they just... come alive.
I only have a few regular playline dolls that have done something similar. Jules my fashionita Barbie who was bought for her body and then as soon as she got out the box flat out refused to let me decapitate her (lol). She's hung around ever since, the only Barbie doll I have out on display.
And then I have a couple of action men who have become a running joke (Action Gran and Action Dad). Action Gran just looks so angry all the time, it's too funny.

Oh, please show us Action Gran! Maybe collectively we can get him an Action Walker, or considering he's probably in good reasonably shape, we could scour the internet for some Action Orthotics for him? Ha I joke but I'm pretty sure I need them myself.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:38 am

jupiternames wrote:
Purple_Monkfish wrote:It's true, they take on a life of their own. I think that's what's so addictive about Makies. Unlike other dolls on the market where most of their "character" is preassigned, with Makies you design so much and they just... come alive.

Oh, please show us Action Gran! Maybe collectively we can get him an Action Walker, or considering he's probably in good reasonably shape, we could scour the internet for some Action Orthotics for him? Ha I joke but I'm pretty sure I need them myself.
 Lol he shows up a lot in my blog. He disapproves of everything.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Zxi85CQMMoo/VE7A7ZvR11I/AAAAAAAAFik/_MZ7N1clhXQ/s1600/P1070635.JPG

He currently has a granny hat on (literally a granny... knitted as a hat. What?) It's very silly.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 am

I have got to keep up with your blog. Action Gran is too silly and I feel I need to get to know him better.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 am

Ha ha!  Just love Action Gran....

Funny this reminds me a couple of weeks ago I was trying to find a GI Joe I gave my son when he was little - he never played with him and I know he is up in the loft in a box somewhere...well I rummaged around for ages with no success!  When I start my 'big loft clearout' when I get back from NZ maybe I will find him then...  do you think I will be allowed to 'steal' my son's doll?

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top