Deanna is finally here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deanna is finally here!

Post by Okore on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:32 am

This year's birthday gift to myself was Makie #4, and I'm so happy to have a new addition! DHL got her to me insanely fast. I'm impressed!

The IM body is nice. It helps that Deanna's uniform covers up everything but her hands...but as others have said, it isn't glaringly shiny in person and the color match is great. The joints move very smoothly, so much so that my older Makies seem hard to pose in comparison. Deanna doesn't seem to stand as solidly as the others, but I think that mostly has to do with the Bouncy wig making her head heavy.

She looked so happy and serene right out of the tube! I actually loved the faceup she came with. Just a little tip to anyone wanting to customize one of these new dolls...the hard plastic skull piece (that has to be removed in order to access the eyes) is VERY hard to pop out of there. I finally got it by pressing the head face down into a carpeted floor, putting all my weight on it. Sheesh!

Photos really wash out poor Deanna's face. I swear, in person she does have a clearly visible nose!

I like how her hair looks in this backlit shot. Hehe.

Okore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Deanna is finally here!

Post by JRyu on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 am

She's lovely, Okore!  I especially like the third picture down, with the camera angle and her pose, it really reminds me of Deanna Troi. Smile

I'm more of a Classic Treker myself, but she was one of the characters I quite liked in the Next Gen series. ^_^

Her uniform is wonderful, and looks like it fits her perfectly.  Wherever did you find it?.......  Or did you make it yourself?

Whoever made it, I'm impressed!  I have the official full sized pattern for it, so I know how complicated it is to get all the fiddlely bits sewn together correctly, and get it to fit right! Wink

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:49 am

gosh she's great! her uniform too is brill! I want one heh

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Oh my gosh, this is the most amazing thing! I'm holding myself back from just bashing the keyboard in glee haha, it makes me so excited.

The face-up and the uniform are FANTASTIC. Actually, I'm going to echo asking where you got it or if you made it! I've been wanting DS9/VOY uniforms for my makies, because while I can't cosplay at comic con (because reasons), they could - and I'd love them to be in little engineering and command uniforms. If you make them yourself, please do let me know if you'd be open to commissions.

I'm a massive fan of Trek haha, specifically TNG/DS9/VOY. Very Happy I'll only do this once because of course it's your thread, but just in case you're interested I have a trek blog where I draw art, including alien redesigns (to be less humanoid). Just mentioning it because I'm always 120% happy to talk about Trek haha.

Deanna just looks awesome. Would you be planning any others? I think a Beverly would go amazing with her. Very Happy
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okore on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks guys! I'm blushin' over here!

I am nowhere near talented enough to have made her uniform, I wish I was! It's taken from a 9 inch doll from a Star Trek "Collector Series" line. They made a bunch of them. Plunking "Star Trek 9" doll" into Ebay turns up a good selection. The larger doll here is actually the one the uniform came from (posing with her hideous action figure counterpart). Her body is very masculine and chunky which makes her a great donor for Makies, haha. And she actually came with accessories, which is why I hope we get gripping hands for IM Makies someday:

I'm a recently-converted Trekkie but I love love love it. I've seen all of TNG, about half of TOS, and 4 or 5 movies. I'm glad to learn that I'm among friends! Thanks for the link, Nattherat, I bookmarked it because your art is awesome! 

It would be fun to make others because I have so many favorite characters. I'm not sure who I would do next though. I can't wait to see what changes they make to the boys when they come back next year...I'd love to do Riker or Captain Kirk!
(My husband always laughs at me because I can't stand Beverly. I like Wesley better than I like her. I was always whining "Why won't Dr. Polaski come baaaack???")

Okore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Haha, aw poor Beverly! I always thought that she and Pulaski would make a great duo actually. A lot of the art I do is of my "ideal" crew for each ship, so I've drawn Crusher and Pulaski as joint senior medical officers working together a lot. I think they'd compliment each other very well. Plus I think poor Crusher suffers from the writers not being very good towards the female characters at times (Deanna probably gets the worst of it), and is shoehorned into a supposed nurturing role when she's otherwise actually really quite outgoing, and outranks basically everyone on the ship haha.
(EDIT: ack, not implying that nurturing people are not able to be outgoing. I just mean that bad writing trope where a nurturing character gets dulled down to JUST that to the point of being a cartoon of a person. Bev should be able to be both!)

ANYWAY I better not go off on too much of a Trek tangent, or I'll totally derail things. XD I'm super glad you're enjoying what you've seen so far, and I'm glad you like my blog! If you're viewing it on desktop, there's a navigation list to the right so you can look only for things to do with TNG if that's what you'd prefer.

Thanks for letting me know where the uniform came from. Very Happy I'm so surprised at how high quality it is and how well it fits, that's why I thought it was custom made!

I think I might be out of luck personally, living in the UK. There are extremely few here, I think getting Trek merch in general can be quite difficult here. It's good to know they fit though, so I can keep a look out. In the meantime, I might just have to keep starfleet uniforms for my makies as a pipe dream. XD

How about Tasha Yar? The blonde fur wig, if makies still have them, would be really good with a little trim and style. Very Happy
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okore on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Oh, what a shame! I know about amazon.co.uk, but I didn't realize there was a separate Ebay, too. If you or anyone else really wants one of these dolls, I'd love to work out some kind of trade or something....do email me at nikgriesti@gmail.com!

I totally agree with you about the writing. Almost every character has inconsistencies, especially Deanna and Beverly. It really made me wish that Tasha and Ro had been featured more. Guinan, also. My husband tells me that she comes back somewhere, a movie I think? But I was so frustrated that she just disappeared from the show for the last few seasons, and I guess we're just supposed to assume she's still there.

Okore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm much more of a Star Wars fan, but she is still amazing! Her faceup is excellent! I agree that the IMs don't stand that well, Kitty's been falling down a lot, but the joints on the IMs are so smooth... 

Anyway, congrats on your new doll, can't wait to see more pictures of this beauty!Smile

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:51 pm

I suppose that means the Makies with IM bodies aren't going to be able to do all those wonderful one footed poses like the 3DP Makies could. Neutral

Nat, when you do an eBay search, doesn't it also show you any international sellers who have what you are looking for, and are willing to ship worldwide?

A great place to find Star Trek AND Star Wars merchandise is: intergalactictrading.com

Mike and Susan are great people, as well as fellow die hard Trekers, and Star Wars fans. Smile

It's fun just to browse their website, even if you don't buy anything. Also, if you do see something you just have to have, they do ship worldwide. Wink

When we still had our business, we used to come over and sell at some of the British SF conventions, and there was usually a fair bit of Star Trek and Star Wars stuff for sale in the dealer's room. Granted, a lot of it was on our table, but there were usually at least a few other dealers with bits and pieces. ^_~ Especially when the U.K. Was hosting a Worldcon. Very Happy

Lol, maybe we should start a Star Trek Fan talk thread in the "Off Topic" section. Laughing

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:21 pm

if knees are abit weak, try wrapping a clear elastic band around the knee. A few of my 3dp dolls have loose knees, it's really helped them stand.

I grew up a trekie, we'd all snuggle up on the sofa to watch TNG or voyager heh. I have fond memories of that family time

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Okore on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Deanna went around socializing some today.

She and Pocahontas noticed they have the same eye color.

Deanna tries to teach Bee about her tricorder.

Kira introduces her to one of the resident Giant Cats.

She and little Picard don't know what to make of each other yet.

Okore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:51 pm

she's so awesome.

and wowza natt, love the redesigns! I have a fondness for really inhuman aliens, despite not having many of my own in my sci fi worlds. I've always had a certain fondness for the "alien", particularly insectoid. I liked that about the reboot Legion of Superheroes comics, they had several characters who were really inhuman and that was cool. Not just human but painted green or something, actual alien like a giant snake hahaha, or a space roach.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:13 pm

That Kira is amazing too! I never thought of it before, but makies really can make good gelflings!

Thanks P_M! Very Happy You can find my own original aliens on my personal/original art blog too if you're interested, but I promise this is the last time I'll linkdrop my own stuff outside of my own threads haha.

@JRyu, yes, ebay can show me international sellers, that in itself isn't a problem. It's the cost. Overseas sellers charge £15+ (sometimes £30!) to ship to the UK, which is often more than the item itself. Honestly by that point, it's cheaper for me to commission a custom uniform here in the UK!

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, international shipping costs can be outrageous, especially if you add any additional insurance, and you want it to get there before the next century! Wink

It was pretty expensive even back when we used to come over regularly and stay for several weeks.  We would base ourselves in London, right next to Paddington Station.  

From there we would take day trips out to explore different places, or go further afield and stay for two or three days before returning to London.

We always mailed home most of the stuff we had bought, before we left England, and it wasn't cheap.  Especially if you had heavy things, like books, in the boxes!  

Lol, we used to send a lot of foodstuffs back home too, stuff you can't find in the states.  Like Bachelor's powdered cup of soup mixes, Angel Delight packets,  P.G. Tips tea, Twiglets, etc.  Even the occasional tin of Golden's Syrup, or Mushy Peas.  Lol, and of course lots of British made sweets, and biscuits. Very Happy

Man, I miss England, especially at this time of year.  I want to come back over there so much!  I wish my partner was still in well enough health to be able to make that long of a trip.   I'm sure she misses England too. Sad

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 pm

She really looks the part! There were some 'Trek dolls with cloth uniforms on sale here in the UK in the '90's - from what I remember, (I had the Data one), the outfits were pretty well made and would likely fit Makies; they might be available on the secondary market?

Palladium97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:20 am

Oh, man, how did I miss this thread for so long!? I love TNG (and DS9) and you've made such a great likeness to Deanna. The second round of pictures are just perfect.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:58 pm

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. In my defense, I've been sick and haven't been on many of my message boards lately. Sorry Okore. Embarassed
I should have realized that you had a thread over here when I saw Deanna on AGPlaythings. I've loved Kira and Pocahontas since I saw them in the Playthings thread too. Your attention to detail is amazing.

I'm also a TNG and DS9 fan. I remember liking the Dark Crystal when I was a kid but I haven't watched it in years.

ForestGreen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:08 am

She turned out so well! Her face-up is spot on. I almost wish I didn't know those outfits fit Makies. My husband's mini is begging for a command uniform. Must resist Ebay, must resist.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:20 am

Aah, do it! Ha ha. I'd like a command uniform for my Nikki, too!

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top