Classic Makies on Ebay

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Classic Makies on Ebay

Post by kittyrose on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Tesa wrote:Oh gosh, I really want some cocoa hands for Jonah... I regret not buying any for them while I still could.
I have bid on some for 99p as I fancied some for hopper, but feel free to outbid if you wish, I also said this on fb as am not super desperate.

kittyrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:22 pm

cocoa is the one set I don't have. I have some caramels and some strawberries from the group orders but nobody got any cocoas for some reason (less popular colour? the sets were stupid expensive)

I would have loved some white too but again, nobody ordered em. It'd be nice for Tor to be able to hold his sword when I finally get him one.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:23 am

I bought a couple of each of the cocoa sets, because a majority of my bunch ended up cocoa.

The color I have the least of is white frosting, and I could kick my self because I only thought about getting the extra hands bundles for my two Makies that are staying white.  As it was, I barely managed to get those ordered before they were completely removed from the shop.

It never even crossed my mind that I might want extra hands to dye along with the Makie I'm going to try to dye purple.  Then there's the one that I haven't decided as to whether to leave her white, or dye her also, but if I do dye her, it would've been nice to have had extra hands to dye for her as well.

I hope he has some white hands, hopefully a lot of white hands, and that he does them as BIN, like he's done with a lot of the shoes and things.  

I was considering trying for some IM bodies, just to have on hand in case one of my bunch got damaged somehow, but after seeing Nat's amazing Makie head X BJD body mod, I'm not all that concerned about getting any now.  Only if he has plenty, and if the people that I know who really want and/or need them, have won/bought them already.

That's a good question about the IM bodies p_m, maybe they are thinking like Linda and Kittyrose....using them as dressmaker's dummies.  Either that, or they are thinking that they can use them as replacement bodies for their existing IM Makies. 

I could sort of see that, since experience tells me that the IM's joints are probably only going to get more loose and floppy the more they are played with and posed.

Those dolls with odd bits and/or broken bits sound interesting.  I'm sure they can be used for parts or possibly even combined to make some complete dolls.

I'm looking forward to seeing what all turns up in those boxes he has.

Hopefully some cool tentacles and peg legs for you p_m and for anyone else who wants some.

As for what's up currently, there is just one doll that I've put a maximum bid on, and that's the cocoa girl he's listed as Chilli.  There is just something about her that calls to me, which is very rare, since I usually have little interest in girl dolls.  

However, I'm getting the same kind of feelings from and for her that I got with Moley.  So I'll state right now, that I'm going to be going after her pretty seriously!

I will also state right now that whether I win the Makie girl I'm after or not, I have no intention of snipe bidding on any of the other Makies currently up for auction.  

I won't promise that I will not be bidding on any of the Makies he has yet to list though, I reserve that right until after I've seen them first.

I hate to say it, but I can't help but think that we haven't seen the last of "O***Y".   I really hope I'm wrong, and maybe they will be satisfied now that they managed to snag two Makies, but I can't help feeling that the only reason they didn't try to snipe even more of the Makies was only because they ran out of time.

I also just can't shake the feeling that "O***Y" is a member of the FB group, rather than an outside Makie collector.   

So I will be curious to see if those two Makies show up in photo posts on the FB group page, since Tammie made a point of encouraging winners to post pictures of their new Makies.

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:38 am

I wonder, if it would be possible to use your own hands as 3D models, scan them into a computer, reduce them to Makie size and create the socket joint on the end.

Then turn it into a 3D print program, and print your own Makie hand gestures and "handy" type hands.  Such as a pen or paintbrush holding hand, Vulcan salute hands, or a sword holding hand, etc.

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:46 am

Haha! @JRyu, I think you probably could!

The issue wouldn't be with scanning, it'd be whether the resulting hands looked nice/in-style with the Makie. Makies have very simplified bodies, with very little detail - even on the IM bodies which defined the hands and feet a bit more. Human hands are probably one of the most complicated parts of our bodies, if not perhaps the most visually complicated full-stop.

Scaling a human hand down, exactly as-is, would result in quite a lumpy odd-looking thing I imagine, and would probably be too brittle to print and use.

In the end, you'd have to alter the scan so much to be more simplified, strong and sturdy, that you could probably make a 3D model from scratch quicker!

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:53 am

(Ah, just quickly, another issue to keep in mind for everyone: if you are considering making your own 3D parts, you'd have to do it on a personal basis - as in just printing pieces for yourself. 
Doing otherwise, whilst I'm not sure would be directly illegal, would certainly start to get murky. In terms of business law and economics, you'd be dangerously close to infringing on MakieLabs IP. You'd be deliberately imitating part of their product to create unofficial goods. Definitely keep it on a personal basis.)

(Speaking of which, it'd be even better if MakieLabs themselves put their old hand files on their thingiverse!)

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Just incase anyone cares, I am going to try and print what they have on thingiverse. We have a local "maker space" and they have a 3d printer you can use for cheap, so I'm gonna try and print what I can. If all turns out well, I'll post pics up here. Smile

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittyrose on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:14 pm

I have no clue if it'd work or not but re hands if you have all the gestures you could create a mold and use resin to make additional colours for yourself obv only works if you have hands and secondly obv you wouldn't be able to sell them

kittyrose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:17 pm

I hear casting in resin is very expensive? And that making the mold is too. However, that's only what I've heard, I don't personally know.

If you have an IM body, plus the cash to splash, then casting in resin will create a better match for your body most likely! At least in the way it feels/looks.

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Ah, molds, yeah I did that a while ago when I broke a MH hand. It's pretty easy if you know how to (a) make molds, I use special mold-clay, and (b) know how to use resin. And I got this starter resin set for about $14, it's the mold-clay that's expensive. ($20 for like a very small amount)

Also, I am really eying George on ebay. I haven't set my max yet, but i will soon. So yeah, I want him a lot. Smile

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 pm

that sounds cool Dollyay, if they come out cheap enough to print I might be interested in a few bits heh.

I'm certain O**Y is a Makies person and while i'd hope those who won stuff round one would be decent enough to sit out round 2 and 3, I know they won't. *sigh* People are jerks.

For me, my "serious need" dolls are Ringer and Sweetie. I actually really really want Sweetie, i've fallen for her grinning face. She reminds me of August and I can just see them hanging out together, being all mad scientist...
But I really had hoped I WOULDN'T Fall in love because I know I can't compete and I know people will be absolute nasty jerks and outbid me because they can. As it stands, not many people mentioned wanting Ringer but I BET he'll still got for £100 plus because a couple of people will decide they just want any doll they can and don't care who they trample to get it.
And that sucks.
I will be SO resentful and SO hurt by whoever outbids me on him particularly as I made it SO clear that I wanted him. To then go for a doll someone has made very clear they want is just a real dick move. Sadly that seems to be the community's default state right now.

Now, I know Elaine had her eye on the sad pistachio and until this morning she was high bidder but a new person has waded in, a person with no prior Makie bids who I wonder if they're even part of the community. Either way, with Elaine no longer highest bidder, I no longer feel guilty about putting in a snipe bid on that one, but I doubt i'll win her anyway. I kinda hope Elaine manages to get the funds together because it'd be nice for her to get a doll after being knocked out first round.
She also is high bidder on Ada, having outbid me days ago. I don't mind so much, I wanted Ada as a possible present for husband but didn't want to spend too much on her. If I could have gotten her for £50 she'd have made a lovely anniversary gift but as she's already going for more than that, i'm not about to get upset. I didn't NEED her, it was a whim.
I kinda.. NEED Sweetie... i've been dreaming of her, and it's awful because I know full well i'm going to be heartbroken when I lose her.

Damnit Makies, why do you have to do this? capture our hearts argh.

I mean none of the first wave GRABBED me the same way, they were like "yeah that one might be nice, but..." so I didn't really mind standing aside for others who were in love with them.
And I like sad pistachio but i think Sweetie has more personality for me and is already screaming character at me (like Moley and JR, it's that exact same NEED).

I already said I wanted Ringer, and was willing to beat people with sticks if they tried to outbid me, I warned people my wrath would be swift and violent. So take cover guys, because I will blow the damn house down. I'm gonna be absolutely IRATE. I'm already angry thinking about it.

Please people, try to console me on monday because i'm gonna be pretty grumpy and upset. Keep telling me a big nosed pistachio boy will show up for BIN and i'll be lucky enough to grab it. Just... tell me anything.

I hate this situation. It's awful and nasty and stressful. I wish I could just wash my hands and walk away and honestly I WOULD had I not fallen in love with Sweetie. DAMN HER! Damn her and her little grinning goblin face. Argh.

Damnit why couldn't the seller only have dolls that didn't grab my heart? ones I was just "that's nice" about rather than dreaming of. It's not fair, I need.. deep breaths and to break up with this damn girl already. Sweetie, I love you but I can't afford you. And it breaks my heart, but I hope you go to someone who'll love you and give you the attention you deserve you smiley little thing you. I hope you cheer someone up. I'm just sad that can't be me.

I'm gonna just... hug my existing dolls for a while and have a bit of a weep. I'm lame like that.

Also to whoever is bidding me up on the IM caramel body? You suck. You really suck. -_-

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Hope you get George btw Dollyay. And I hope Paul and Lennon show up and end up with someone in teh community so the band can potentially be "gotten back together" at a doll meet lol. That'd be super cute.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Very Happy Nat, I'm afraid any 3D model that I tried to make from scratch would probably turn out to be a lumpy odd-looking thing, lol.Laughing

Rolling Eyes Human hands, even simplified ones, aren't really my forte, I can't really draw, paint, or sculpt them worth beans. Wink

Yes, I was thinking in terms of personal use, and not as something to sell.

I also wish Alice would release a lot of the old files, especially for the stuff she no longer really plans on offering, like the 3DP bodies, and make them available on Thingiverse or elsewhere.

Perhaps, if she is unable to find financial backers/partners, maybe she could put everything into a 3D print program that you could purchase and use to design different Makies, and then be able to print them out yourself, or get them printed out, along with extra hands and accessories for them.  I know I'd pay well for a program like that.

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Oh like Quinn? Where you pay for a license to print as you want but aren't supposed to sell? that'd be cool.

Sometimes I think i'd like a 3d printer heh, but the really nice nylon ones are megabucks and all i'd ever print would be toys.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Nothing wrong with printing toys. Very Happy
Besides, from what I've seen, that appears to be exactly what most people are using their 3D printers to print! Wink

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Yep, when they came out everyone thought we'd be printing cups and cutlery and everything, but nope.. just toys and nicknacks lol. It's because everything else is STILL so much cheaper to just buy replacements from the store made the conventional way. Plastic and ceramic and such is still way cheaper than filiment or nylon or whatever and the mass production of these things brings the price even further down. When you can buy a set of new plates for £8, why would you print them? When you can buy a mug for £1, why print one? If you can buy a small plastic washer for pennies, why take the time, effort and expense to print parts?

And now because it's not in demand enough, the price of filiment and of machines hasn't come down as much as it could have, but the demand hasn't gone up because the price hasn't come down either. It's a catch 22 situation.
I believe 3d printing will for the time being remain a bit of a gimmick, and it's a shame because certainly for a toy industry it has a LOT of potential.

Imagine Makies the idea taken to the extreme. Fully customisable, not just face but body as well. A broader range of colours to pick from, more narrowly defined features and sliders. Fantasy parts like new feet and hands, wings, tails etc.
The ability to create a 3d doll of ANY character you wanted and it's definitely possible with 3d printing, and people would pay the money to do it.
It'd be a niche market, but a niche market willing to splash some serious cash.

Consider the price those last ebay makies went for. If people are willing to pay £200 for a doll they didn't even design themselves, how about one where they could customise EVERYTHING from height, to body shape to ear tilt.

Maybe some day someone will start something like that up, with Barbie even now having body shape variation, it's only a matter of time before someone with a 3d printer thinks "i could do that."

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah, the fact that Makies didn't go as far/extreme with the customisation is exactly why I was happy to remain with my three and I don't really need/want any more Makies! I feel like with the faces I got, I pretty much explored the majority of the uniqueness that Makies could offer.

But yeah, honestly, I think it'd be a really great idea for Makies to license out stuff, if they're able to. Please Makies license out the wheelchair. Very Happy PLEASE.

@Dollyay - wow, I had no idea! I don't know if it'd be that cheap in the UK but that sounds way more affordable than I've been imagining, and honestly I want to get back into sculpting. It won't be something I'll have the space or cash to attempt for some time yet, but maybe I'll think about resin casting my own sculpts in the future to be honest!

I make stuff!
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

strange request, but those who's ids I don't yet have, can you give me your feedback score so I can assign you to your ebay random letters?

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:13 pm

@nattherat- This stuff here is what I use for resin, it's technically epoxy but it is essentially the same thing. This stuff is the mold-clay I use. It's pretty expensive but it's the best I've tried so far. You can also use it to make molds for food lol. I've also heard you can make mold-clay yourself with silicon caulking but I've never actually tried that. 

@p_m - thanks about George, he's always been my favorite Beatle. Smile

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:21 pm

P_m, maybe if you put up a list of the eBay bidder ID codes that you are trying to match names to, maybe people recognizing their bidder code will respond.   It's worth a try anyway.

I hope you can sleuth them out, there are a few bidders I'm curious about as well, like "O***Y" and "T***O".

Besides, it would kind of be nice to know which bidders are the people I'm rooting for to win!Very Happy

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:17 am

I think O***Y is Lisa

Not sure about T***O though.

I've been outbid on Ringer by T***I but this comes shortly after I get defamed in the group so i'm wondering if it's spite bidding. Hmm.. given the behaviour over there right now, wouldn't be surprised.

What a shameful display.

So glad we're level headed over here.

I think I might actually just sit out these auctions alltogether. Some people are getting nasty and i'm not convinced it's worth it.

I'll hopefully get those IM bodies from frankenmakie and might buy some shoes, but I may wait till the smoke has cleared and a Makie that isn't tainted by this (dare I say it lol) negativity comes up for sale.
I do have rather a lot anyway.

Sorry Sweetie, you're adorable, but I shall have to wait a little longer for my goblin girl.

I really enjoy sleuthing, it's one of my weird hobbies. Like.. internet stalking people just for the challenge hahaha. It's not creepy HONEST!

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:37 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Now, I know Elaine had her eye on the sad pistachio and until this morning she was high bidder but a new person has waded in, a person with no prior Makie bids who I wonder if they're even part of the community. Either way, with Elaine no longer highest bidder, I no longer feel guilty about putting in a snipe bid on that one, but I doubt i'll win her anyway. I kinda hope Elaine manages to get the funds together because it'd be nice for her to get a doll after being knocked out first round.

Ugh, the sad pistachio girl is the one I had my eye on! I'm not bidding until the end since I don't want to drive up bids, but I guess sorry to Elaine, because I wanted that Makie from the moment I saw her and have wanted a pistachio for a long time. Though I won't bid on "yours" p_m. Don't worry about competition from me.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 am

It's ruth who wants her actually. I get my names confused lol.

And don't worry about it, I don't think i'll watch the next round. I've got proxy bids set up but I expect them to go for way beyond my limits. I've decided to wash my hands of it. This evening i've just... realised I don't NEED these dolls as much as I thought and I especially don't need the drama they've brought along with them.

Poor dolls. I hope they find great homes though.

Honestly, it's quite nice to feel the weight lift and no longer be fretting and grieving. I think i've gone through the sad stage to "acceptance" heh. I'm good with this.
What will be will be. If I win, awesome. If I lose, oh well.

Good luck those who decide to bid, I hope you get what you were after.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:13 am

p_m, oddly enough that's how I felt after the first round of auctions ended. Like, okay, these are done. I didn't win but now at least I know the result. Probably because I was at work when they ended. I tend to go pretty emotionless at work, even on my lunch break.

But oh man, I was hoping you'd confused Elaine with me!! I really like Ruth (both Ruths actually) but I also really want that doll! Sad Hah, her and I should set up a doll share program on that sad girl. I could live with that!!

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:33 am

Lol. Sad girl is def gonna be loved, she won't be sad for long.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next