Compatible bodies for hybriding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compatible bodies for hybriding

Post by nattherat on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Heyo!

I recently turned one of my Makies into a BJD by hybriding the head onto a new body -You can read the progress thread and see the results here! - and since I've been asked about it on here and on instagram, I thought I'd make a thread about "compatible" bodies, given the amount of bodies I've researched and looked into. Somebody else may like to undertake a similar hybrid so this thread could provide a good reference point.

Important notice first: Makies are the only doll I've ever seen myself with the neck/head connection that they have. So that means that when I say "compatible", I still mean modding is necessary, but it's the minimum amount of modding. I'll divide this list up into three categories.
"Compatible immediately", meaning that the only modding necessary is neckhole modding and then you're good to go.
"Compatible - modding may be necessary" meaning bodies that have necks up to a few mm too small for Makie neckholes (up to a maximum of 5mm). They'll fit, but may look a bit unsightly around the neck area, and might require some apoxie/sanding.
"Try with caution" meaning bodies that have necks up to a few mm too large for Makie neckholes (up to a maximum of 5mm). You may still be able to use these bodies, but you will have to dremel/sand the Makie neckhole open wider which could be risky.
"Extensive modding" means bodies whose measurements are pretty out. Extensive filling or extensive dremelling/sanding will be necessary to make a nice-looking functional hybrid. Warning that sanding too much nylon from your makie can and likely will weaken the neck area.

When searching for a hybrid body, the magic number you're looking for is a neck circumference of 5cm. This makes Makie heads compatible with many YOSD or 1/6 bodies, and in a few cases may be compatible with MSD or 1/4 bodies. Also bear in mind that the following list doesn't guarantee that a hybrid would look good, it's just a list of bodies I've found with compatible/partly-compatible measurements.

Compatible immediately (5cm exactly)
YOSD Resinsoul 1/6 Boy
YOSD Sugarable Sugarsleek body
YOSD GEM of Doll 1/8 body
YOSD FantasyDoll 1/6 body

Compatible - modding may be necessary (as little as 4.5cm)
YOSD Resinsoul 1/6 Girl 
YOSD Doll Leaves Angel Body 20cm
MSD Doll Chateau Kid body 05
MSD Doll Chateau Kid body 14
YOSD Doll Zone B27-004
YOSD Doll Leaves 20cm body

Try with caution (up to 5.5cm)
DollPamm Tiny Girl body
DollPamm Loli Girl body
MSD Doll Chateau Kid body 11
MSD Doll Chateau Kid body 12
YOSD Soul Doll Soul Sweeter body
YOSD Fairyland LittleFee Baby body
YOSD Aimerai 1/6 body
YOSD Asleep Eidolon 1/6 body
YOSD XagaDoll 1/6 26cm body

Extensive modding (anything smaller than 4.5cm or larger than 5.5cm)
YOSD Hujoo 1/6 body Basic/Wings (4cm)
YOSD LUTS Honey Delf body (6cm)
YOSD Doll In Mind (D.I.M) Sweet body (5.9m)
MSD Fairyland ChicLine Girl body (6cm)
YOSD Fairyland LittleFee body (6cm)
YOSD Doll-Love 1/6 body (6m)
YOSD Doll Leaves 26cm body (6cm)
YOSD IslandDoll 26cm body (6cm)
YOSD GEM of doll 1/6 body (6cm)
YOSD XagaDoll 1/6 27cm Cute body (4.4cm)

I'll add to the above lists whenever I find a new one or remember one! Feel free to also add to this list in replies and I'll edit this post. Very Happy
P.S the Sugarsleek Body, which is compatible from the get-go, is being discontinued on the 15th March, so if you want to pick it up first hand, now is the time. (Link here)

Buying bodies:
In the UK, I recommend Angelesque.
For the US & Canada, I hear great things about Mint on Card, inc., Alice's Collections, Denver Doll, and of course Junky Spot. Many many more are available.
A link to DOA's list of reputable BJD dealers sorted by world region

Last edited by nattherat on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:38 pm; edited 5 times in total

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compatible bodies for hybriding

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:32 pm

I expect hujoo bodies would likely work too. They do resin ones but mostly they're ABS. Skinnier than a Makie but similarly proportioned so if you had a spare head you didn't have a body for...

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 pm

The girth of Hujoo necks are 4cm, so I felt they were too far mismatching to recommend. How does your Makie neck part compare to a Berry neck part?

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:33 pm

the berry/yomi etc scale looks to be slightly narrower than a Makie neck. The action bodies have a really fat neck, even their own heads don't sit properly lol but the 1/6 scale ones look similar to Makie so... mmm.

AHAH! I found it!

Ok, the 1/6 scale Hujoos have a neck circ of 4cm
Makies are listed as having a neck circ of 5cm so you probably would need to be careful with the hole you carve. They might look slightly pencil necked but probably no more than an actual berry/yomi/cujoo already does lol.

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 pm

The Luts neck is 6mm... Thinking it work it still to slightly carve it open more or am I insane? XD
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 am

As I'd written in the first post, I only listed bodies which were out by 5mm either way. Having them out by a whole 1cm either way is massive at such a small scale, and I'd honestly be worried how they'd look/how much work they'd need. A whole centimetre means either a lot of space between the neck and the neck ring Makies have - like, a LOT - or absolutely no way to get the neck in there without extensive sanding (taking off 5mm all round), which I'd worry would start being very very noticeable on the doll and compromise the strength of the head.

I tell you what though, I'll make a 4cm and a 6cm heading. I'd definitely say try those bodies at your own risk though, that's very far out.  Wink

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:35 am

Well logically speaking it would only be tight fitting if i did it no sanding, and *fingers cross* one could do it with theses heads due to their being still pretty solid IMO. Would i say do a 7 MM hole? NO but a 6 MM wouldn't be as hard...

Ugh why much my centaur be so much a pain to do! LOL
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:36 pm

I think you would want to consider sanding down the Honey Delf neck as much as you could too, to ease how much you're taking off the head.

On the underside of a Makie's jaw - the cutie makies at least - it's only about 3cm or so, and the neck hole itself is only like a 1cm across (remember that the 5cm reference measures circumference). Now imagine taking a further 5mm off that around all sides, you're going to be cutting into parts of the makie nylon that are thinner than the original neck part. A 6cm neck WILL NOT FIT from the start full-stop.

For reference, here's a 5cm resinsoul neck within the 5cm Makie neck hole:

If it were any more snug, it wouldn't fit at all. ANYTHING over 5cm will need sanding, and something 6cm will need a serious chunk taken away.

Absolutely still do it if you want to - I agree that if you're careful and prepared to put in the work, 4cm and 6cm necks could still work. Some of the bodies I have my eye on will need more serious modding to be hybrids, after all. I just want to emphasise that the more nylon you take off, the close you get to the part of the makie head that is thin and NOT reinforced with thick material. Next time you look inside your makies head, notice that the nylon is so thin as it gets towards the face area that light shines through it.

Definitely see how much you can sand off a 6cm neck to make it closer to 5cm BEFORE carving out chunks of the Makie head, in my opinion. *nods*

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Aye agree. Even if I don't think the heads could work ordering one anyway because well.. It would be my first BJD haha. I wish bodies with the 5mm came in tan easily :/ but I dunno how they would hybridnize with the Luts centaur.
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 pm

You can dye resin with iPoly dye, which has been well-documented on Den of Angels. I'll be dying three bodies eventually because... yeah, it's hard to find a sculpt you want offered in the colour you want.

I do think LUTS centaurs are adorable, and very well proportioned. I wouldn't recommend trying to put any other torso into the centaur body, they'll have custom torso/pelvis pieces. You'd be doing MORE work doing that than you would be just sanding the neck and neckhole.

My favourite part about the LUTS centaur bodies: the transparent resin used for the hooves and tail! It looks so cool. Very Happy

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Oh? I found a Soom (let me pull up the link) that has white body parts centaur that portion looks almost dead on.

http://bjd-shop.com/soom-c-2/aloa-sov-wood-centaurs-16-p-242.html

But again I gotta search neck size >_<

How well even is the dye in the resin? If I only need to do slight sanding to both I would rather do that haha
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 pm

That site is selling recasts, and I'm not convinced that that's a Soom, it looks virtually identical to the LUTS Honey Delf doll in everything except the hands. Even if it is, that's not a Soom price, and Soom dolls are limited and cannot be bought brand new like this once they're gone. Certainly an illegal recast.
Check dealers in your country instead. Are you on Den of Angels? Because that'd be a much more informative resource to use for resin advice!

iPoly dye on resin is very even if done properly!

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Ah I did not know that!

And nope, I want to but I have heard mix stuff with the people on there *hides* I get into enough forum fights at times lol

Ah the key word to this is properly lol.
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Yep, that's the key word all right! XD Along with care, and consideration. As long as you approach any modding project carefully and with planning, it's fairly hard for it to go wrong, and if it does go wrong it will only be through external factors that weren't your fault.

I only joined DOA late last year, but while my experience hasn't been extensive, I'd recommend it. It's packed with so much info that I wish I'd known before I joined (I didn't know about so many companies and independent artists until I joined for example). There's great and in-depth reference stuff on there, it's invaluable in my opinion. I've learned more about BJDs in the two months since joining than I have in ten years of following BJDs from afar. It'll help you spot things like recasts too, so you don't end up getting swindled!

So far I haven't encountered anything or anyone bad. The rules are easy to follow, and even if you accidentally break them - which I have, when I thanked somebody for info in a company post (that was considered chatting rather than asking question about a product) - you don't get instantly kicked or anything. The mods will just let you know what you did wrong, and it's all very amicable as far as I've experienced.

As a general recommendation, it's a very good resource. Very Happy Anybody considering a BJD and/or a hybrid will likely find it very very useful.

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:29 pm

I'll probably do it on my computer then! Do you need to have a BJD before joining or could you lurk to get info on BJD before making that sucidal plunge of your wallet?
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Nah, you can join without one! Though I have one technically now, I didn't have one when I joined! Very Happy

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I'll do it then Very Happy sorry for once more Hijacking the thread XD

Side note... Wonder if the smart doll mini will be compatable >_>
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:49 am

I second the recommendation for joining DoA (Den of Angels)! I've been a member there since 2005. Smile

It is packed full of information, plus as soon as you earn Marketplace status you have access to probably one of the best and safest secondary markets for full BJD dolls, As well as BJD bodies and heads. Plus the prices are usually pretty reasonable as well.

The moderators are all very friendly, and they work hard to keep discussions civil, and the forum a fun place. People who appear to be deliberately and repeatedly trying to stir up trouble are first warned, and if they continue they are banned.

Also, it's such a huge forum, one of the largest online doll forums I believe, it is very easy to stay in the background, and remain somewhat anonymous if you desire. ^_^

Just to add, it would probably be a lot easier to mod the resin neck to fit, if you went with a slightly larger neck, than it would be to try to enlarge the Makie head's neck depression.

The resin should be a lot thicker than the 3D plastic of the Makie's head, and it carves and sands fairly easily. Much less risk of potentially damaging the resin neck while modding it, than there would be trying to mod the 3DP head.

Just make sure you do all resin carving and sanding outside or in a VERY well ventilated room. MOST IMPORTANTLY, wear a professional quality air filter ventilator mask! Resin dust is extremely dangerous, nasty, stuff to inhale.

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

Yes, very good advice JRyu!

Doing a subtractive mod on the body BEFORE one on the head is a great idea if buying a body with a larger circumference neck. I think it's pretty rare for a BJD to have a neck made from thin resin, so there should be plenty there for you to work with.

Probably a good rule of thumb, especially now is: Your makie is unique, and impossible to replace. Unless you're buying an incredibly low-run artist doll body, your BJD body can be replaced. The safer you can keep your Makie head, the better.

And respiration protection is always worth mentioning. Den of Angels have in-depth topics about how to find and buy a suitable and safe mask, which should be worn whilst making any subtractive mods to resin, and while doing any sealing. Frankly, I really wish I'd had a DOA account before I started customising dolls, because that information simply didn't show up anywhere online for me. I had previously thought that simply spraying sealant outside was ventilation enough - Now I know better.

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:27 am

Alright finally signed up!

Haha, I will remember this *hopefully*
Miss Heny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:52 am

Updated the list with a whole bunch of new bodies, plus two new immediately compatible ones. Very Happy
Plus I put a link to DOA's list of reputable dealers sorted by world region! As long as you use one of those, you should have a good shopping experience, and not end up ripped off by things like illegal recasts.
In the UK, I recommend Angelesque.
For the US & Canada, I hear great things about Mint on Card, inc., Alice's Collections, Denver Doll, and of course Junky Spot. Many many more are available.

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Might I just say, Denver Doll is excellent, I bought some patterns from then a while ago (yeah they have patterns!) and although they have what looks like an outdated site, they are super nice about customer service and such. I second the recommendation. Smile

Check out my Makie gallery!

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm

So... Theoretically could one use one of those I'm makie bodies with a resin head?
Almostreal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Updated the list with some Dollpamm bodies! Very Happy

I don't know much about Obitsu bodies, but someone's hybrid on Instagram shows you can give a Makie an Obitsu body!

@almostreal - I possibly may have answered this question on FB, I'm not sure! I'll answer again here for reference: It is highly unlikely you could hybrid a BJD head with an IM body! At the very least, you'd have to mod it, which may result in the BJD head being unusable as a BJD head! The neck connections are just too different. It'd be like trying to put a Monster High head on a Makie body. If you were determined enough, you could find a way, but they're certainly not intended for each other, and the modding you'd have to do might be permanent.

However, if it was a permanent look you wanted for your doll, then the damage might not be an issue! My Gil's head can never be used on a Makie body again, but his new look is what I want permanently!

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top