Kinda back... but only kinda

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kinda back... but only kinda

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm still not quite ready to get back into the whole drama of facebook but my new girl arrived today and of course that means photos.

She inspired me to get my other Pistachio doll out, so Sweetie and my new girl both got new faceups.

Here she is as she arrived. Poor girl was nude, wigless and footless but Mr Ebay (lol I love that name) got her a new wig and some white feet.

She has a sweet little face under all that hair.

In fact, I did some digging and you know, i'm pretty convinced she's this doll:

Same nose, eyes, lips, jaw.

Her name was Ripley, so that's what i'm calling my new girl.

Interestingly, the inside of the scalp her wig is VERY securely glued to says "skye", which isn't that the name of the short aqua wig? Anyway, pretty sure Mr Ebay switched out the whole scalp piece as there's no way he glued this wig on lol.

Here they both are. Tomboyish Ripley and her sister, the every smiley Sweetie.

Sweetie looks a bit "erp" in this pic lol, Ripley always looks sort of ponderous and serene to my eye. Almost wistful.

I love my pistachio gals, I think i'd have ended up with an army of green dollies had I gotten into Makies before this colour was discontinued. It's so pretty and green!

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kinda back... but only kinda

Post by jupiternames on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks so much for sharing!! They look great together. I especially love Ripley's wistful look Wink I'm pretty sure 'skye' was that wig's name.

Wouldn't it be the dream to get a pistachio cutie! I always sort of wanted Nealie Jean's Pear, though she's been dyed even greener. I'd still love her! I've got to get my hands on a pistachio some day, right?

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:13 pm

So cool, they look great together. Smile

Sweetie looks so much more happy and..... well.... sweet, than she did in her eBay photos.  

Lol, no offense to mr-eBay, but I thought she looked a bit crazed in his pics. Wink  

Of course that slightly demented look could very likely have been due to having been shut in a box and shoved in the back of some storage room.  

I expect I'd come out looking rather demented too, if I'd had that done to me. Wink

I think Ripley looks a lot happier as well!  

I seriously think Makies need to belong to someone in order to be happy. I love you

BTW: So does this mean that Rupert has two sisters living back in the "old country" now? Wink

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:22 pm

heh at least two sisters. I've not managed to work out who Sherbet (the other v1 pistachio who Kay has) was but I don't think she's of the "50" lol. Thus far i've managed to id about 17 of those 50, which btw, I need your help on.

When weak knees arrives, can you do me a favour JR and tell me what the code inside his head says?
I'll post up my findings at some point, I did a whole image where I have the official makies image and name, then the ebay auction image etc.
There are still a few I can't work out though.. the cocoa boy with the bobblehat, sherbet, the two latest ones (pretty sure greenish is actually a slightly off colour Tesla)
and Taylor oddly enough while one of the 50, was never put up for sale in the store. Instead it looks like she was used for promo photos. Interesting. I wonder if a member of staff took a shine to her or something.

I'm looking for a Makie with P379DTGU as their code... yep.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:59 am

Sure, I'll let you know when he arrives.

On the topic of codes, I think I told you that Pinky's certificate said "Paul", well turns out it's not his certificate. I posted the code up in the groups, and turns out the certificate code matches the head code of Ella's Stern. So Stern is actually Makie Beatle Paul. I believe Ella has now posted the code off of the certificate that says Stern, to see if he turns out to be any of the unidentified Makies from the auction.

Meanwhile poor Pinky, it turns out he has three different codes, his head code is: PTSJM54W, while his Backplate code is: PFX342VB, and his eye mech has a third code: P6FJE5H7. No wonder he has a bit of an identity crisis. Wink

Sioux had posted that she thought she recognized Pinky as one of the heads that was used for testing the use real human makeup to do the face up, that he was stuck on the end of a chopstick, and hung out on her desk at the lab for awhile. I think she even had an old picture of her desk, where you could just barely see him.

I was a bit worried that he might be a gloppy mess because of that, but it turns out he actually has little or even no real makeup, his eyelashes and eyeliner are instead made from pieces of black ribbon that's been half unraveled and then trimmed and shaped to look like eye lashes and heavy black eyeliner. Quite cleverly done, really.

They also appear to have been lacquered over with glitter glue, or very possibly clear glitter nail polish, and are glued to his eyeballs.... I guess to give him that half closed sexy "come hither" look. Wink

I suspect finding a certificate that matches his head code isn't going to happen. Even finding a certificate that matches his body's code would be a long shot. Still, it would be nice to know if he ever had a name, and what that name was, if he did.

By the way, it turns out that my Chilli girl isn't really "Chilli", she's actually Pixel! Even though her tube said "Chilli", the certificate inside said "Pixel", and the code on it matches the one in her head.

Jasmine or someone, was able to dig up an old Lab picture of the real Chilli, and she looked like the one who was listed as "Pixel" in mr-eBay's auctions, so it looks like just their tubes were mislabeled.

I don't remember who won the Makie that was listed as "Pixel", possibly Lisa, but I'm guessing, and hoping, that "Pixel" also arrived with her correct certificate. Smile

I know there was some speculation when he listed them, about the two dolls being mixed up, so it looks like those who thought so were right. Wink

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:38 am

Stern was a damn cute doll actually, he doesn't look at all stern lol. I have a picture of the doll her cerficate links too but I don't think he's any of the ones already put up for sale. Let me find that photo.

Lol poor Pinky, what a frankendolly.
black ribbon!?? that's so wierd!

I told you guys Chilli was Pixel and Pixel was Chilli but nobody listens to me lol. They look to have switched codes and I did tell Alex this. He must have switched the correct codes out after I told him they were wrong.

Now, I do have names for a few of the others.  So, the cocoa one with the checked shirt and the really short nose, he's "The Kernel".
He should have a labcoat on.

My girl is definitely Ripley, Phillipa had her certificate and the numbers match.

The one who looked a lot like Taylor is Wheels.

The one listed as Pi is actually Pie, they look really really similar so I don't think anyone could tell them apart. Similar names, same outfit, same wig. One had grey eyes, one had brown I THINK but it looks like at some point they swapped eyes or names lol.

"stern" is definitely Paul, in fact, this is Stern:

See? NOTHING like the doll listed heh. He's a cutie.

Looks like at some point Arnold got new eyes as his original doll's eyes are blue not brown.
A few have had outfit changes or wig changes over the years.

I found a photo of Alice clutching Ripley, Pris, Daryl and the weak kneed boy (I think it's him. Eye colour is wrong but I think he's had a swap at some point too)

It looks like a few were kept as models for the photo shoots rather than sold, that would explain the weak joints too as they'd have been posed and played with a lot more.

Sweetie and Ripley have really tight joints and were both sold in the store, but Taylor, weak kneed boy and a few of the others were never listed up. They were however at the pop up shop. Well, Taylor def was. I think after they got dyed someone took a shine to certain ones and they were kept for photos heh.

There's things like the valentines day photo featuring two same sex couples and a straight couple. Taylor with a girl i think is Rumpus (there's a few pics of the pair of them), weak knee boy with another fellow heh. I'll have to find the photos. Looks like Taylor has a fair few pics of her serenading other girl dolls, it's adorable.
Quite unusual to see such lgbt representation in official doll stuff. I'll dig those pics out later for people.

As for the hybrid ones, I think those were probably misprinted dolls. Something went wrong somewhere and the heads were kept for faceup practice. at some later point stuck on a body. Those I don't think we'll ever be able to id, they may have been people's actual designs or test prints or any number of things.

I'm still trying to id a few more classics if I can, and then i'll move on to trying to work out who the cuties are. Those ones I don't think have names, or at least no certificates to show names. But I suspect they're the instagram models and things like that.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Someone found that picture and posted it on the group page, because they thought the grey haired doll was the same one in the auction. I kind of thought so too, except his eyes are now a different color.

Lol, of course they also thought the doll next to him, Daryl, looked like your Sweetie, to which I couldn't really see any resemblance at all. Wink Actually, he reminds me a lot more of my Shoi, who doesn't look anything like Sweetie.

It's really nice to see a picture of Stern, who frankly doesn't look stern at all. He looks very warm and friendly. Smile He's also quite handsome, and I think you're right, I don't think he's gone up for auction. In fact, I'm pretty sure, because I definitely would have gone after him if he had been! Wink

I think a lot of people agreed with you on Chilli and Pixel being mixed up some how, although some weren't sure if the dolls had actually gotten mixed up, or if their tags had just gotten switched around in the pop up shop display, and that no one at the Lab caught it.

Lol, anyway, I'm glad she's Pixel and not Chilli, she looks like someone who might be nicknamed Pixel. I never did think she looked anything like someone who might be called Chilli.

You know I don't think this Pixel was handled much if at all, her joints are all in perfect condition, and even a little stiff like they are when a Makie is brand new.

I haven't checked Rupert's and Tae's head codes against their certificates yet, mainly because they just looked so exactly like they did in all the Lab photos. Plus the name on the certificate matches the name on their tags in the Lab photos, so I'm certain the codes will match too. Smile

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm certain Tae and Rupert are correct, as is Sweetie.

I can ID a couple in this image. Taylor is in the middle, Vikare is the boy in the same ugly pants. Pink hair I think actually is Curie but without the lashes and with different eyes, they used her for a fair few pics it seems. I think the one in the police outfit is supposed to be Amy Pond lol, she doesn't have red enough hair though.

The girl in the red and yellow is called Rumpus, the 4 LEs are at the bottom with the Makie Doctor (Doctor whom? huh? he had some sort of silly name)

And there's that pistachio boy from the previous photo (in the yellow)

Anyway, what's interesting is that on the webpage they listed up 37 dolls of the original bath of 50. No, they didn't sell all of those, we know they kept a couple for lab use because they're in these model pictures.

Of the 37, 1 is known to have sold (Vikare) and a further 16 have been positively IDed
that leaves 20 of the website dolls unaccounted for. Are they some of the ones we haven't ided yet, are they in someone's collection (sold back in 2012) or are they still in the boxes Mr Ebay has waiting to be listed?

I'm going to continue to paw through pop up shop photos and see if I can find any more names. Annoyingly, it looks like on the wall they had an image of all the digital portraits of the 50 in one print, but nobody seems to have taken a photo of it up close. You can only see the corner of it and maaan it would have been useful.

For the record, this is sweetie before she was turned green lol. She has a pretty unique face so hard to confuse for anyone else heh.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Ooh, they're a lovely green! Sweetie and Ripley are great! Very Happy

It's also really interesting to follow the progress of IDing the Makies. I'm amazed at the work you've done P_M!

I make stuff!
Site | Shop | Instagram
nattherat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Wow, you are lucky Jenna!  How fabulous to have another 'older' Makie with a bit of history.  Love what you have done :-)  

Great work on the id'ing

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Great work! on your dolls, and all of the ID research.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Okay purple_monkfish, my grey haired Cocoa guy is here, and I've got his head code for you. Here it is: PLKPLV61

It doesn't match the code you're looking for, so does that mean he's not the Cocoa Makie in the pic with Alice?

I also checked his back plate code, and it's different from his head code. Do you know whether it's actually supposed to match the head code, or not?

Pinky's back plate code doesn't match the one in his head either.

I haven't checked anyone else yet, but I'm starting to think that maybe a Makie's back plate code and head code aren't supposed to match.

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Let me check the back plates, gimmie a mo.

Ok there's 2 codes inside the body and only the one in the head.

the top code seems unique the back plate, the code under that should match the head.

For example Fizz here has PULE9SXS in her head
In her body is says:

MGDZT6B&
PULE95X5 (I think the S looking letters in the head are SUPPOSED to be 5s, must just be how it prints them)

So for those who have unmatching body codes, they may have swapped body with someone at some point. I mean it's easy enough to do. you have two cocoa dolls sitting on the desk being dressed, you pop their heads off to put clothes on, get distracted, you could so easily swap em.

I can't get Ripley's off without breaking her back plate so i'm not risking it. But I assume the classic ones have the same back plate, so it's two numbers. top number... who knows, bottom number should match head.

But as these dolls were lab dolls, they were probably handled, redressed, had their heads popped off etc a LOT.

PInky I don't originally HAD a body, that head lived on a skewer lol. Weak knee boy might have been swapped out at some point either by mistake, or because that body was broken the heads might have shared a working body for photo shoots.

He WAS used in photos, I have several images of him modelling glasses of all things. It's def him, grey eyes and everything. No name sadly.
All the code means is that he is NOT Pi, I thought it was a possibility as "Pi" is actually Pie according to his code. But doesn't look like it.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:04 pm

JR! What is weak knee's back code? the M number, the one that doesn't match the head.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top