Ebay Makies - ID and history

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ebay Makies - ID and history

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I've been sleuthing... and while I haven't managed to ID ALL of the dolls, i've managed to work out a fair few.

I thought the owners might get a kick out of seeing original photos and such of them.

Of the original 50 pop up shop Makies, it looks like around 40 were put up onto the online store. A few of the others were kept by the lab themselves to use as models or whatever (Taylor, Noesis, weak knee boy) and a few sold.

We have no real way of knowing how many sold while they were listed up in the webstore, but I think it's safe to say we're probably missing a few like Stern and Pi who's certificates were in the wrong tubes. I wonder if they're in the boxes the ebay guy has.

Anyway, this is a really big image so be warned.

Enjoy!

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Makies - ID and history

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:39 pm

The Makies at the pop up shop who's names I could find are: (red names are Ebay sales, green are dolls I assume sold as they disappear from the shop after a few days)

ON the bookshelves:

Arnold
Mike
Pixel
Rupert
Sweetie
The Kernel
Tyler
Taylor
Wheels
Elvira
Camo
Chi
Daryl
Doctor Play (We think ebay guy has this doll, he's the one being used as a model)
Fatima
Hopey
Lady Lala
Michelle
Smooth
Soulful
Stern
Twine
Nathaniel
Shy Susie

On the stairs:

Justin
Bluebert
Pie

Shelf:

Pris
Kristen
Owly
Katy
Pi

Another shelf:

Lenon
Paul
Ringer
George
Pixelator
Chilli

Window:

Ripley

Can't see them in any pop up photo images, but listed in the web store:

Vikare
Lily
Rumpus
Yasuko
Noasis

Noasis was used by the lab for photos, as was Rumpus and a few of the others (what's interesting is that Noasis WAS up for sale in the shop but then a few months later she's gone from the shop. Did a member of staff take a shine to her?)

I can't id the other dolls in the window with Ripley, they don't match any of the ones in the webstore. The one in red looks like Michelle but Michelle is on the bookshelf so... that said, it looks like the dolls were moved about during the show, as in some photos Pi is on the shelf, in others it's a different boy in a yellow jumpsuit but there's no clear images of him (could be weak knees?) 

Sadly it looks like i've hit a bit of a dead end now, still with many more dolls to identify. Some we may just never know the identity of.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:48 am

Nice! I'm glad you put the time and effort in. Super interesting.

Artful Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:53 am

So weak knees is definitely one of the original fifty, we just don't know his name.

I wonder if Alice might have a list somewhere of the original fifty, their names and codes.

I'd love to know what he was originally named. Lol, I'd also like to know who that bearded character is, that he's being so chummy with in that one photo. Wink

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:07 am

Oh lols, that picture of him in the round white specs..... those are just so not him! Laughing

His expression in the photo.... Lol, he even seems to be quite taken aback by them. Smile

Funny thing, one of the first things he did after I got him dressed, was claim one of the pairs of white glasses that I'd bought to color. At least this pair seems to suit him a bit better. Wink

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Ok this is gonna be long. Prepare yourselves.

I found 48 of the 50, and honestly, looking through the archives, it looks like there may have only ever BEEN 48 rather than 50, unless they bulked out the numbers with a couple made from another account.

So first things first, the pop up shop dolls!

These were designed my Makies official account and printed over 2 days for the pop up shop in London.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 pm

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:28 pm

These are staff created Makies, some of which seem to have ended up used as models and such.

There's a couple I couldn't find clear images of. But... some of these look familiar.

I couldn't find an image of Widget's companion Liisa, she's featured in a few comics and the girl he's skiing with on the picture on the wall at the pop up shop.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:09 am

Wow, you've been busy! Very Happy   I'm super impressed, by all you've managed to uncover.

I don't really see "Mr Weak knees" anywhere among them.

Unless....  Is it possible that he might actually be Nathaniel, dyed cocoa?

Both look to have the same facial features, at least to my eye.

Nathaniel looks in the picture like he might be green.  If he was actually originally green, and is in fact "Mr Weak knees", that could explain why "Weak knees" is such a dark cocoa color.

What do you think p_m?

I can try to get a good close up of Weak knees face before I give him a face up, and post it here for comparison to Nathaniel, if you think that might help. Smile

Last edited by JRyu on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:12 am

Say p_m, I don't see Stern, or The Kernel, listed on your big pop-up-shop list, or among the ones made real on February 16th.... but wouldn't they be Makies number forty nine, and fifty?

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:12 am

I thought he might be Nathanial, I think they're all white just a bit grubby.

And Stern and Kernel are there, they're at the end on the far right which might cut off on some screens. There were other dolls but their listing showed they weren't made real, it said "not yet" which was odd as they were in between pop up ones, so must have been designed at the same time. Maybe they decided not to go with those ones or someone miscounted or... I dunno. It's odd.

Now, I found a listing that lists all their codes but they aren't their head codes, they're their printer codes and i don't know if that's what the second number on the back plate might be. I can't get Ripley or Sweetie's open without breaking it so I couldn't check.
The one for Nathaniel says M6ZR6E7L though.

Here's the largest image of him I can find. The outfit seems right as do the features so mmm.

Of course there's always the possibility these codes are random and not printed on the doll at all or he's on the wrong body, who the heck knows.
Do you think that's him though JR?

I think the second Joshua (the staff makie) looks like the boy with the beanie off ebay.

There were a few others the lab "made real" but there were no images, not even digital sadly. The archive doesn't save everything but it saved quite a bit. They were much later dolls though, sorta late 2013 and into 2014.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:52 am

The more I look at Nathaniel, the more convinced I become that Nate and "Weak Knees" are one in the same.  None of the other dolls,
that you've found pictures of, really look like him.

Here is the best photo I could get of "Weak Knees", tell me what you think.

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Yeah, Stern and the Kernel are not showing up at all for me, the last one on the right is Soulful,  in the view I'm seeing.

The top code on Weak knees back plate is: M8LCF83M

The bottom code on his back plate is: PPM5F2UT

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 pm

yeah must be screen resolution. Try direct link to the image, it's a really wide picture because I was trying to ram as much as I could into it.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif~original

And yeah, I think that's gotta be Nate. I wonder why he got grey hair, maybe he stole someone else's wig because it looked cooler against the super dark skin. But I think it's gotta be him aye?

Which is awesome.

There are still a couple of the ebay classics without names but those are mostly the heads that were put on different bodies, who knows who they were, it's probably lost to time.
But I found a lot of explanation for various things.

A lot of this lot got played by in the lab and used in photos so they switched out eyes and wigs and generally had a great time mucking about with em heh, that's probably why some are a bit loose and several have lost their clothes (wild night hahaha). There's photos of staff parties with Makies on the table for instance, and they took a few along to several cons and events. They also swapped not just wigs but wig caps as several of the caps have a name written inside them.
Some look to be potentially the name of the wig, or may be the name of the doll the wig was originally on, I don't know.

For instance, Ripley's head cap says "skye" which happens to be the name of the wig she was wearing, she might have stolen it from a doll named that too, who knows.
Sherbet who Kay owns has a wig that says "elfridge" inside, presumably nicked off the selfridge elves who were referred to as "the elfridge" From photos it looks like there were 4 of those, 2 cutie blonde girls who look identical (twins?) and two that might be male (pretty sure at least one is) who have long aqua wigs. They also look to be pistachio, you know.. because they're elves? hahah. But the Elfridge campaign explains that wig cap anyway.
I still haven't been able to work out who sherbet actually was, she has a sad face but her nose is very similar to Ripley's (very flattened bridge)
but the hope is using these images, people with unidentified Makies can hold their doll up to the screen and compare (which is totally how I identify mine hahah) and hopefully find their doll's original identity. I mean, I love knowing the history of my dolls, it always bums me out when I can't get any more info because I wanna know it aaaaall hahaha.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:54 am

Hmm, could Sherbert be Caoimhe? I can't tell how the nose bridge is since that face is so white, but I'm really drawn to Caoimhe, so...yeah. Sorry, Kay! I'm not trying to creep all over your doll.

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am

We worked it out, we think Sherbet is actually Maggie! SO YAY!

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu on Sun May 01, 2016 12:46 am

I'm wondering if Pinky might actually be one of the girls from the original fifty.

I think I'll try to post a good photo of his face, and maybe people can help me compare him to the list to see if there's a possible match.

I will remove his crazy eyelashed eyeballs for the picture, so that his eye shape can be better seen, and also so they aren't a distraction. Wink

JRyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat May 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Good plan! I'll have a go at seeing if he's one of em. heh.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top