Wandering with Wren

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wandering with Wren

Post by JRyu on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 am

I can relate to that, that's why I bought a Barbie's friend Midge, when Mattel brought her back in the late 80s or early 90s, because I'd always liked my Midge doll way better than any of my Barbie's. They'd updated her a bit, but she still had that Midge cuteness about her, and you could tell that she was still the same Midge. Not like this latest Barbie Dream House reincarnation of Midge. I keep looking at them, but yeesh!..... They gave her such a doofus looking face, they gave ALL of them such dorky looking faces! Oh well, at least Dream House Ken doesn't stick out like a sore thumb the way his predessors used to..... Lol, now Barbie and the girls look just as goofy as he does! Very Happy

Luckily, I found a Midge at a collectables show that was the spitting image of the Midge I had as a child. She was a bit on the spendy side, but fortunately my partner was there, and she convinced me to spend the money for her, so now I have my Midge back.

I don't really know what happened to the majority of my childhood dolls and toys, they just seemed to gradually and mysteriously disappear over the years. Mind you, I have my suspicions... Especially since it seems like they usually disappeared while I just happened to be away, at camp or staying at my grandparent's house. As a teen, I can remember being cajoled by my mother into giving away a few of my treasured toys. She was very good at guilting me into it, she knew my soft spots, like talking me into giving my beloved "Cecil the Talking Sea Serpent" stuffed toy to this little girl. I believe the girl and her Mother were staying with us to get away from a bad domestic situation, while my Father found them help and someplace safe to stay. They didn't have time to grab anything much other than the clothes they were wearing, and the little girl just fell in love with Cecil the moment I wrapped him around her waist and showed her how to make him talk..... Long story short, when they left to go to the shelter or safe house that my Dad had found for them, Cecil ended up going along with the little girl.

I still miss Cecil, but at least that little girl had a friend she could talk to and cuddle, someone she could play with, while things got worked out for her and her Mom. ^_^

"In my life there have been no dragons... only stepping in gum, and small spiders.  I would have preferred dragons."
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Ah yes....Mum's giving away childhood toys...or convincing their children to!  Similar things like that happened to me...I think my Sindy went that way. Plus a few were ruined...but we won't go into that as it still hurts...  Sigh...

Anyway latest Wandering with Wren update can be found here  plus there will be another publishing tomorrow morning.

Without Challenge There is No Achievement
MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Aww man. My childhood dolls and toys were all kept, my mother would sneak stuff into the garage but we were onto her tricks and I always snuck stuff back hahaha. But sadly, when we moved to the UK my dad had the "great idea" to store stuff in the unused dug out room of the house. We were renting the house out to friends of the family and the room was only accessable via a door on the outside that was locked and bolted. We were only supposed to be gone 2 years so I suppose my parents assumed it would be safe there. All the furniture, all the photo albums and yes, all my toys were put down there. (along with my sister's)

Well, about a year later those people moved out and new tennants were put in. Eventually they put in a woman without doing a background check first.
We didn't find this out till we went back to NZ and went to look at the property. The previous tennant had TRASHED the place so they'd hired in someone to clear out all the damage and trash.
Well, this woman had drilled a damn hole in the wall leading to that "safe" room to see what was inside! Seeing it was full of stuff, she'd then kicked in the door (the bolt was completely shattered and the door was hanging open when we arrived) and taken her pick of our treasured belongings.
to add insult to injury, when the agent then got a person in to clear up her mess they told him "take EVERYTHING to the dump" and he questioned them and they said "yes, everything" so he cleared what was left in the room. All the toys, all the photo albums, all our childhood memories were taken to the DUMP and destroyed.

Absolutely devastating. My poor sister lost all her photos from her teen years, she was an avid photographer. And she lost her childhood teddy who was hugely sentimental to her. I'd taken mine with me on the plane, I still have him actually but man, I wish i'd taken her bear too. i considered it when we were packing things up to "keep him safe" but thought she'd get mad if I took her stuff.

We only got one thing back. The guy who dumped the stuff took some of it for himself, including my childhood train set. When he found out, he brought it back to me. But I wonder what else he kept that he didn't want to return you know?
Still, that train set and my teddy are all I have left of my childhood belongings and they're absolutely precious to me. I honestly think my hoarding of toys is directly related to that massive loss.

I've rebought a few of the things I had a lot of sentimental attachment to. The littlest pets, a single cherry merry muffin doll. But man, childhood toys are precious! Why don't parents understand that?

Hey, just your friendly neighbourhood admin.

Check out my Makies

In space, nobody can hear you explode.
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Oh that is devastating!   I think that some of these childhood losses that didn't occur because of our own fruition, but those of others does have an effect - at least I do wonder if that is why I don't want to part with things now!  

A few of my precious dolls and bears were put in my parents wardrobe when I came to England as an adult....they had survived 30 years of love and were still in good condition....My Mum moved them out of the wardrobe so that they could put my Brother in Law's FATHER'S exercise equipment in it that would have been perfect okay out in a shed...  yes my precious pyjama bear that Dad bought from a lady he did work for (handmade), my Jacko, a carebear, and a couple of dolls were all chewed up by rats.  Only my doll was salvageable  - she lost her thumb.  The others were destroyed - I discovered this a few years later when I went back with the intention of bringing them over to the UK with me.  I still find it hard to accept that this is what happened and it just doesn't make sense as to why and what she was thinking!

MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Oh, that's the worst! I sometimes worry about this happening to some of my old stuff. My mom makes sure it is kept nicely (no plastics in the hot attic, etc), but I know my childhood friends are living on borrowed time. I'm going to have to come up with a plan for them.

I'm so sorry to both of you for your lost toys. Sad

Allie and Garrak (Flex) by Jealiebean

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Man, my mother does that kinda thing. When I moved out to go to university she promptly moved in with her boyfriend (now husband) and cleared my room, putting everything into his attic. This was fine and dandy, but when I came down a year or so later to sort through some stuff I learned that instead of having any damn respect for my belongings, she'd just thrown them into black bin bags and hurled them into the attic.
I was SO MAD.
Thankfully nothing broken (YET that I can find. I only went through one bag and there's like 6 more up there i'm dreading looking at) but when I found my alter stuff tossed into a bag with heavy books and shoes on top I nearly cried.
Mum couldn't understand why I was so angry about a "stick and some bowls and cups" being treated in such a way.
-_-
If she'd broken my wand... I don't know what the hell i'd have done seriously. Grrrrrr

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:31 pm

Ugh, that's awful! I had a really uncomfortable experience with my dad keeping my boyfriend's LPs in the garage. We had left them with my parents when we moved here to Chicago. I thought it's too hot for vinyl in a garage in San Diego (where it can get above 100 degrees multiple days in the summer), but he was really mad that I would even suggest that he wasn't keeping them safe.

So I moved them inside myself over the holidays and asked my mom to keep them there. Don't toy with me, dad! They're inside to this day.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 pm

By the way, I just love that you've photographed a 3D printed doll in this historical site. Beautiful! I'd love to see the Roman townhouse some day. It would be a nice follow up to visiting Hadrian's wall (where I totally say little boys having a lightsaber fight).

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:51 pm

jupiternames wrote:By the way, I just love that you've photographed a 3D printed doll in this historical site. Beautiful! I'd love to see the Roman townhouse some day. It would be a nice follow up to visiting Hadrian's wall (where I totally say little boys having a lightsaber fight).
What else would you do at Hadrians Wall but have a lightsaber fight?  Laughing   Hopefully one day will get to Hadrians wall again and take photo of Wren there!

MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am

I took a picture of those kids (a real, film one). I'm not really a creeper, I swear! I was just jealous I didn't think of having a lightsaber fight first. I'll be so excited if you get the chance to take Wren there.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 am

What you need now are Makie sized light sabers, so they can have fights on historical monuments. bwhahaha.

Check out my Makies

Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Oh, for sure. I actually have a partially finished jedi costume for Lizzie, but she still needs a lightsaber. She wants one just like Obi Wan's.

Nathaira by Fakkel

~~~EVERYONE ELSE!~~~
jupiternames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Jupiternames, Check out the Myfroggystuff video, they have a lightsaber one. Hehe I've made one or two....

Check out my Makie gallery!

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Sounds like fun!   I will have to get creative!  Especially now you have given Wren ideas...  Razz

MissRead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:33 pm

YouTube is a great place for ideas! Hehe. Hope Wren doesn't pester you for too many thing now! Smile

Check out my Makie gallery!

Smile
DollYay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top